• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grackles in Florida (1 Viewer)

red-dawn35

I was recently in florida for work and got out shooting some photos. I am not entirely sure what species these are as I have no experience with them. Any input is awesome.

Attachments

• grackle.jpg
    grackle.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 90
  • grackle1.jpg
    grackle1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 93
  • grackle2.jpg
    grackle2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 101
They look like Common Grackles to me. I think the third bird may be blinking using it's nictitating membrane which is why it's eye looks dark.

I was reasonably sure that the first two were common grackles but the third one was noticeably larger. I see common grackles on my feeder all the time and I have never seen one this large or with the coloring (I am aware it is very variable) that this third bird had.

At least the first two photos look like Common Grackles to me while the third photo looks more like a Boat-tailed Grackle. But I will certainly defer to the experts.

I was reasonably sure that the first two were common grackles but the third one was noticeably larger. I see common grackles on my feeder all the time and I have never seen one this large or with the coloring (I am aware it is very variable) that this third bird had.

Yeah - your comment plus the photos put it as a Boat-tailed. the tail is relatively longer, the iridescence is a bit different, and the Florida form Boat-tailed males have a darker iris.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back