• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keyboard wouldn't work (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I was in the middle of typing something, when a message popped up but disappeared before I could read it.

Then I couldn't use the keyboard at all. I've got it back by re-starting but that meant I lost the typed text.

It affected all applications, so wasn't just the browser.

I've a laptop but use a mouse instead of the mouse pad. I've covered the mouse pad to reduce the inadvertent movements that drove me bats (not perfect but better than before).

The mouse worked, but I couldn't find out where to go to undo whatever I'd done.

I know it's possible to disable the mouse pad, but couldn't find a way to re-enable it if the mouse went faulty.

Windows 8 on an Acer Aspire laptop.

Anyone?

I recently brought probably the same laptop and had problems including deleting files. I finally found the touchpad imprecise eg you want to copy from one folder to another by drop and drag and everything in the mouse's path is highlighted.

Now use usb mouse & leave touchpad alone

you could try system restore

Thanks Kenneth. I don't need to restore, as a simple restart corrected it.

I really wanted to know how to do it without having to restart.

These touch pads are a nightmare, aren't they. Before I put a cover over it, I found the mouse pointer flying about all over the place and I'd end up typing in a completely different area of the screen (I'm a touch typist and don't have to look at what I'm doing!). When I looked back at the screen I couldn't see what I'd just typed, eventually finding it inserted way up the top of the screen! Other times I'd be typing something and it would suddenly highlight it all then the next key press would delete everything.

It'd be nice if they gave you an on/off slider switch for it, wouldn't it.

Hi delia, on Acers I think you can enable the mouse pad using a button by the (possibly left) side of the on/off button.

Dave

Thanks Dave... searched for that, but can't find anything.

That would be too easy, wouldn't it LOL

Hi Delia, what is the exact model of Acer laptop you have?

Dave

Edit: you can also try pressing Fn and F7 keys the same time.

Last edited:
Hi Dave

Sorry for not responding earlier, but I've been away at the Scottish Bash all day.

Edit: you can also try pressing Fn and F7 keys the same time.

Just tried that and it works a treat. Many, many thanks.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire E1-510.

I can't for the life of me think what key presses caused the keyboard to lock up.

Most external keyboards have a whole row of function keys in the top row (called F1, F2, and so on). They are typically assigned functions maybe to do with volume, general window behavoiur (show all open windows, show the desktop without windoes, etc), and so on.

Because laptop keyboards are usually smaller they have to make do without extra function keys. For this reason they have a `function key' near the shift key, and serving a similar function: To get one of the traditional function keys you usually have to press the function key plus a number key.

Andrea

my laptop did a automatic update of windows last wed,when I switched on thurs night I had no control of the right click on my mouse, later I discovered when I went to search and tried to type nothing registered, I tried typing some text as you would posting on a thread but a lot of letters were missing, after a couple of restarts it looked ok until tonight when I found it is not recognising my sd card ,again a restart has solved it, very strange

Well, you can always do a system restore to the day previous to the updates if the problem persists.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. Some time ago, I had similar intermittent problems and found that displaying the dongle in direct line of sight rather than on the back of my PC solved the problem.

Not sure if the problematic keyboard is wireless or not.

Colin

Hi Colin

No it's a laptop, but the mouse is wireless. That worked OK fortunately.

It seems some funny things have been happening lately.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back