• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE FULL? What next (1 Viewer)

mdb2

I have an iMac with 1tb memory. My external drive is WD 1tb my book essentials. My primary worries are my photos. The WD is showing full. I am ok with this! However what to do next is the problem? Do I just go out and get another external drive and attach this as well, therefore effectively haveing two external drives? or should I now disconnect the external drive and leave in storage? And attach the new drive? Also how will the iMac know which is which please help.

Kind regards mike

Sorted thankyou

Last edited:
I would imagine it is the same as windows? Just attach another hard drive and your machine will do the rest. I have four hard drives plugged into my PC through USB ports and the PC just gives each drive a letter. I hope that is what you were asking. A good idea though is to back up each drive and store it away in case your drive becomes faulty. I have done this with my most important files.

I would imagine it is the same as windows? Just attach another hard drive and your machine will do the rest. I have four hard drives plugged into my PC through USB ports and the PC just gives each drive a letter. I hope that is what you were asking. A good idea though is to back up each drive and store it away in case your drive becomes faulty. I have done this with my most important files.

Thankyou, John yes this is what I was asking, kind regards
Mike.

what about seeing if there is anything you could delete to free up space.

As PC user, I regularly run a cleaning program, it usually finds 100 - 150mb of temporary and other files which serve no purpose and may be safely deleted, something similar has been written for MAC try searching "cleanup app for mac" online

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back