• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Laptop turns itself on (1 Viewer)

birdieboy123

All The Gear, No Idea
For about a week now when I go to my laptop in a morning I find that it has turned itself on, having looked into it, it does it at 3am every day
Any suggestion as to why and how to stop it

I would imagine it has some task scheduled at 3am. A virus check, some program looking for updates. If you type "Task Scheduler" into the start button search box (I'm assuming it is Windows) then you can see what is scheduled.

But it can't actually turn it on, you must just have put the machine to sleep, rather than turning it off. Have a look in "Power Options", again type it in the box.

My work computer used to turn itself on during the night. This happened randomly rather than on regular occasions though. It turned out this was caused (I'm not totally sure how) by a faulty motherboard, which had to be replaced.

There's also a setting within the BIOS on most machines that is used to auto-start the computer, that will need to be checked.

Also Wake on LAN in the BIOS and in the properties of the network card in Device Manager - this is usually only applicable to a wired connection.

I've also seen bad motherboards cause this.

I do wonder whether a mains spike, from something in the household or very close-by switching at that time, could be triggering it (assuming it's connected to the mains overnight).

There's also a setting within the BIOS on most machines that is used to auto-start the computer, that will need to be checked.

Also Wake on LAN in the BIOS and in the properties of the network card in Device Manager - this is usually only applicable to a wired connection.

I've also seen bad motherboards cause this.

I do wonder whether a mains spike, from something in the household or very close-by switching at that time, could be triggering it (assuming it's connected to the mains overnight).

Nice Answer...may i retrieve or Change our lappy password from Bios settings ? if i forgot my user name on the startup of my lappy.

The BIOS doesn't contain your Windows password. Most BIOSes do have a facility to have a password but that is almost never used for start up security. If you forget your Windows passwords you can use a boot disk to clear the existing passwords. If you are using a BIOS password you can reset the BIOS by removing the backup battery from the motherboard. But if this is a separate problem you would be better off starting a new thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back