• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

After the Black Redstart (1 Viewer)

Stonechat2

Tooty Fruity Member
I read in the paper the other day about the black redstart being around the wolverhampton canal network. So i decided to go and have a look for them as i live about 4 miles away i decided to go my bike. I enjoyed seeing all the little Coots, Moorhens canada goose and swans. I also saw a reed bunting for only the second time. I was watching willow warblers from only about 5 metres away and i also saw a Whitethroat for the first time, that takes my life list to 78 now.About half way to Wolverhampton i get a puncture and have to walk back home. So no Black Redstart for me, well at this moment in time anyway. As anyone else gone looking for the Black Redstart around the Wolverhampton Canal and have they seen it.
Steven

Hi Steven,

Hard luck on the Black Redstart - give it another try when you've got the puncture repaired (and take the repair kit with you next time!!!). I don't know the area at all, but the best way to find Black Redstarts is to look on top of derelict buildings, they like to perch on roof corners, etc.

Michael

Hi Steven

Michael is spot on with his habita for these birds. There are few in the centre of Birmingham as well.

BTW how are the old bins I gave you?

Thanks for the advise, there are quite alot of old factories along the canal which i think would ge great places for Black Redstarts to hang about. Birmingham a bit far to travel to so i think i'll stick around the Wolverhampton canal.
The bins are great, it seems now that i couldn't of lived without them. I am going to get me a summer job and get me a scooter and then a scope and hopefully norlfolk here i come.
Steven

Steven,
Good luck with the Redstart. And with the summer job. I can just see it now; have scooter and scope, will travel (from an old US Western series, Have gun, will travel). :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back