• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collared Doves galore! (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

I had the record number of Collared's here around my feeders tonight - 34! What a wonderful sight, it was a grey mass, like the old days in Trafalgar Square (well you know what I mean) I guess they must have had a good breeding season, just hope the Sparrowhawk doesn't come here too often.

I don't have any collared doves where I live now. Can't say that I miss them either.

Plenty of woodpigeons though, although the female sparrowhawk seems to visit on a regular basis!

The numbers don't seem to have changed round here I still get 2 or 3 visit most days, most ever was 7, they have become a bit of a favourite though, I like the way they look at you with one eye.

Mick

We have a few regulars. They have mastered the technique of sitting on the feeder tray and eating from the ports. This is on both the niger seed feeder and the sunflower hearts.

We have one less this afternoon. A female sparrowhawk consumed an entire collared dove.

Dave

songbird said:
I had the record number of Collared's here around my feeders tonight - 34! What a wonderful sight, it was a grey mass, .

I would love to have seen that. Lucky you.

One day last month I had seven, which is the most I've ever seen.

I have an extremely pretty one who is a regular visitor, extremely pale with beige markings on the wing and back feathers. Everyone comments on her when they see her (well, it's got to be a her, couldn't possibly be a him).

When I lived at my previous place, which was only half a mile away from where I am now, I once had a flock of over 40 come down. I was so disappointed when I moved here three years ago, because there were none. Eventually that winter, one male appeared, doing his bowing and calling and attracted a mate, thereafter the numbers grew and grew! However, I had never had more than about 12 or 13 till the last few weeks. Once a very pretty mutant came, I thought it was a "she" too! Had an awful lot of white mottling and pinky coloured feathers, I thought at first she was a pigeon, but she had the little black collar. Never saw her again though.

A while ago, we had a pair of c. doves sitting on an arch during a heavy rain storm. One was hunched up and miserable looking, but the other was raising alternate wings, presumably to let the rain wash its 'armpits'! Looked so funny!
cheers
Mary

Hi Songbird, good to see your a fan of the collared dove to. I find they are a real elegant bird, we get about 8-12 a day. Alas on sat morning a female sparrowhawk took one on the front lawn, but thats nature.
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back