• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Birds Are In Canadian Gardens Right Now? (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Hi Forum
I see lots of post from Britain detailing what birds are in your gardens on a daily basis right now. I'm curious about what's in gardens and at feeders over here now. Here's my list this week:

Pine Grosbeak...50
Evening Grosbeak...only 1 :(
Black Capped chickadee...at least 25, maybe more
Red Breasted Nuthatch...2 only but I hear more in the trees
Downy Woodpecker...at least 3, maybe more, it's hard to tell.
Hairy Woodpecker... again at least 3, maybe more
Gray Jays... 8 on an average daily basis
Common Redpolls... at least a dozen, finally! Counting my little partial albino! :)
Blue Jay... 1 all winter. He's been here steaily since mid-Nov. A first for me!

That's my list.... what are other Canadians seeing?

Tammie said:
Hi Forum
I see lots of post from Britain detailing what birds are in your gardens on a daily basis right now. I'm curious about what's in gardens and at feeders over here now. Here's my list this week:

Pine Grosbeak...50
Evening Grosbeak...only 1 :(
Black Capped chickadee...at least 25, maybe more
Red Breasted Nuthatch...2 only but I hear more in the trees
Downy Woodpecker...at least 3, maybe more, it's hard to tell.
Hairy Woodpecker... again at least 3, maybe more
Gray Jays... 8 on an average daily basis
Common Redpolls... at least a dozen, finally! Counting my little partial albino! :)
Blue Jay... 1 all winter. He's been here steaily since mid-Nov. A first for me!

That's my list.... what are other Canadians seeing?
About the same here in South Eastern Ontario (Belleville outskirts). More Redpolls -50 to 60- with one or two Gold Finches amoung them, fewer Downys (2) and Hairy's (2), about 10 Blue Jays, but sporadically, a couple of White Breasted Nuthatches, maybe 10 Black Capped Chickadees, 3 or 4 Cardinals, about 12 Mourning Doves and a dozen or more Junco's. I did see a Northern Shrike about a week ago, and a Sharp Shinned Hawk about three weeks ago, and they cleared out the other birds pretty quickly. That's all I can remember seeing for awhile.

bert said:
From an interested Brit, nice list Tammie.

Thanks Bert! :)
I wish some other Canadians would respond as well so I could get an idea of what all birds are in various areas of this country. I'm sure plenty for me to be jealous about!

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Tammie,

What became of the White-crowned Sparrow you had a while back?

Michael
Hi Michael,
I had that little sparrow here for a whole month but I haven't seen him now since the week before Christmas. I think he just stayed here long enough to fatten up and continue on his journey, wherever that may be. Sure was a nice treat to have him here at that time of year anyway. He looked good and healthy, pretty chubby. Should have managed the rest of his migration alright, as far as that goes. Hope he's okay!

Hi Tammie,

Ravens - 3
Black-capped Chickadees - 20-30
Boreal Chickadees - 6
Common Redpolls - 40-50
Pine Grosbeaks - 30
Downey Woodpeckers - 3
Gray Jays - 4-6
Spruce Grouse - 7

Yve_M said:
Hi Tammie,

Ravens - 3
Black-capped Chickadees - 20-30
Boreal Chickadees - 6
Common Redpolls - 40-50
Pine Grosbeaks - 30
Downey Woodpeckers - 3
Gray Jays - 4-6
Spruce Grouse - 7

See! I knew there was something for me to be jealous about! I don't get boreal chickadees in the yard (I've only seen one in the yard and that was almost 3 years ago) and you've got more redpolls than I do... LOTS more! I don't get spruce grouse in the yard either but I do regularly get ruffed grouse. That's a nice count, Yve!

A little south of Canada

Hi Tammie, I thought you and others might be interested in the Northern Shrike I have been seeing quite regularly down here in Missouri. That specie is a rather sought after bird here in Missouri, as it appears here only irregularly. I first saw it down south of Saint Joseph, Missouri, this year on November 18. It generally has been staying in the same area and I have seen it now this year a dozen times. People from various parts of the state have come up to attempt to see it and I believe the success rate is rather high. It may take more than one trip to the area to see it. I see it about 1/5 of the time that I bird the area. The yard/garden birds I have been seeing in our yard here in Saint Joseph are: House Finch, American Goldfinch, Blue Jay, Northern Cardinal, Downy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Dark-eyed Junco (slate-colored), Mourning Dove, House Sparrow and Black-capped Chickadee. I also have been seeing/hearing "fly-over" American Crow, Canada Goose and Snow Goose. The Fox Squirrels have been regular "eating machines/demolition squads".

Not in Canada but on the same level.
Blackcapped Chickadee 15-20
Common Redoll over a 100
Black-billed magpie 7
Northern Shrike 1 Seen 2-3 times a week.
Pine Grosbeak 7 Seen 2-3 times a week
Redbrested Nuthatch 2
Raven 8-10 100s on flyover daily On a roost path
Brown Creeper 1 Seen 1-2 times a week
Bald Eagle 1 Fly over daily
Mallards More than a 100 flyover daily
Sorry about the fly overs but when your down to a few species ya take all ya can get. LOL
Doug

Doug Lloyd said:
Not in Canada but on the same level.
Blackcapped Chickadee 15-20
Common Redoll over a 100
Black-billed magpie 7
Northern Shrike 1 Seen 2-3 times a week.
Pine Grosbeak 7 Seen 2-3 times a week
Redbrested Nuthatch 2
Raven 8-10 100s on flyover daily On a roost path
Brown Creeper 1 Seen 1-2 times a week
Bald Eagle 1 Fly over daily
Mallards More than a 100 flyover daily
Sorry about the fly overs but when your down to a few species ya take all ya can get. LOL
Doug

Doug, in my mind, flyovers count too! ;) In fact, I would love to see some of the birds on your list. I only see brown creepers in the summer (don't know if the migrate or not but I can't get near any trees to see them at this time of year!). I did see a shrike here once, over a year ago. Never did see it again. I hear magpies are pests but I'd like to see one anyway! And I never get to see that many ducks at once!

Larry, I'd love to be able to see a shrike that often... like I said, I've only seen one, once, and it took me the whole afternoon to figure out what it was. At a distance, it looked an awful lot like a gray jay but the colors were in the wrong places! ;) Any chance you can get a photo of your's?

Not much here, I'm afraid, but again, I'm in suburbia. 4 to 8 BC chickadees, a pair of cardinals (M&F), 4-6 mourning doves, Juncos, usually 4 - 8 or so, and increasing numbers of house (I think) sparrows, up to maybe 10 at a time. That's an increase compared to a couple of weeks ago. If I had more time to just sit and study them, I might discover a couple of different sparrows, but the male house sparrow is easy to spot. That's it lately.

Northern Shrike

Attached is a photo of the Northern Shrike I have been seeing down here in Missouri, USA. It was taken by a friend of mine who lives in Kansas City, USA. This is the same bird you would find in Europe where it is called the Great Grey Shrike, Lanius excubitor.

Attachments

• Northern.jpg
    Northern.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Larry Lade said:
Attached is a photo of the Northern Shrike I have been seeing down here in Missouri, USA. It was taken by a friend of mine who lives in Kansas City, USA. This is the same bird you would find in Europe where it is called the Great Grey Shrike, Lanius excubitor.

Very cool Larry, thanks for posting that. I believe that's the same type of Shrike I saw here. I would love to see one again but I remember at the time, someone warning to watch out for my chickadees!!

Susan, the birds you have there right now sound like the birds I'll be seeing in spring up here, aside from the cardinals, of course. :( And spring seems an awful long way off right now.... it's snowing and blowing again. At least it warmed up. It was -30C again this morning... now it's only about -6C. That's why it's snowing and blowing! ;)

It has been snowing here in Saint Joseph, Missouri, all day. I believe we have about eight inches of snow now. There is no wind though so it is rather tranquil.

Hi Tammie!
i must have missed this thread when you started it.
Here, in my garden in PEI, At this time of year I have the following on a fairly consistent daily basis:
2 Downies (m & f)
1 Hairy (m)
50-60 Common Redpolls
20+ A. Goldfinches
6-12 DE Juncos
2 A. Tree Sparrows
an unknown number of Blue Jays, flocks are coming and going all day, maximum at any given time is about 15
6 E. Starlings
10 House Sparrows
5 A. Crows
1 C. Raven
6 -10 B-c Chickadees

Other years Purple Finches, Evening Grosbeaks, RB Nuthatches and Pine Siskins have been daily visitors but not this year although I have friend who has them regularly as well as a WB Nuthatch.

I'm going to cheat too, I'm not in Canada, but just across the lake. (Okay, it's a big lake)

Regulars -
Black-capped Chickadee 6-12
Blue Jay 3-4
American Crow 3-10
Northern Shrike 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1

Occasionals-
Common Raven 1-3
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Cardinal 2
Pine Grosbeaks 8-10
Evening Grosbeaks 10-14
European Starling occasional massive invasions
Pileated Woodpecker (multiple flyovers)
Bald Eagle (flyovers)
Rough-legged Hawk (none since we've gotten a decent amount of snow)

When I lived in town we'd have House Sparrows, Mourning Doves, R and W Nuthatches, but now I'm out in more open country.

Larry Lade said:
Hi Tammie, I thought you and others might be interested in the Northern Shrike I have been seeing quite regularly down here in Missouri.

Larry, it's a big shrike winter here, I've seen 4 or 5 in the immediate area where I live, including one that visits my yard probably every day. It seems they tend to stake out a winter territory and stick to that general area most of the winter, from what I can tell. I'm still waiting to see him catch something. He was dialed in on a vole the other day, but his shot got blocked by a deer!

Hi snowy...
Your list sounds like my Spring list!! Most of the birds you listed are the ones I look forward to seeing around the end of March. That's when I start watching for the purple finches.. my signals of spring!

snowyowl said:
Hi Tammie!
i must have missed this thread when you started it.
Here, in my garden in PEI, At this time of year I have the following on a fairly consistent daily basis:
2 Downies (m & f)
1 Hairy (m)
50-60 Common Redpolls
20+ A. Goldfinches
6-12 DE Juncos
2 A. Tree Sparrows
an unknown number of Blue Jays, flocks are coming and going all day, maximum at any given time is about 15
6 E. Starlings
10 House Sparrows
5 A. Crows
1 C. Raven
6 -10 B-c Chickadees

Other years Purple Finches, Evening Grosbeaks, RB Nuthatches and Pine Siskins have been daily visitors but not this year although I have friend who has them regularly as well as a WB Nuthatch.

Tammie said:
Hi snowy...
Your list sounds like my Spring list!! Most of the birds you listed are the ones I look forward to seeing around the end of March. That's when I start watching for the purple finches.. my signals of spring!
I forgot to add the Mourning Doves. Some of us were talking the other evening and one birder mentioned that a dozen years ago a Mourning Dove sighting would have been something to chase down. Now they're extremely common here. I think that the next invasion will probably be the Turket Vulture.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back