• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

?wagtail..I.D please (1 Viewer)

Tim Allwood said:
the only 'large' pipit species in Sri Lanka is Richard's and that's only in winter

any other pipit there would be Paddyfield

Richards will flush and clear off with a huge 'shreeeeep', Paddies just flutter pathetically a short distance, just above the deck calling repeatedly

Tim

Misunderstand this Tim - therefore in winter in Sri Lanka there are two large pipit sp - Richard's and Paddy. Both Jos and I went in winter.

My point was that I couldn't be sure I saw both. In our case we didn't flush them but watched good numbers in the fields from the vehicle or the edges of the field. Did hear them calling at the time, and know the call of Richard's well, but can't remember what the SL birds sounded like!

Cheers

GV

There is a Malaysian ssp of Paddyfield A. r. malayensis which is described as having slight differences from the nominate form, mainly involving streaking above. Anyone know if there is a difference in facial patterning/

S

Hi Stu

malayensis shows less breast streaking than migrant richardi Richard's - hence my comment about the reduced breast streaking further up

hope this helps

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
If Paddy is a 'large' pipit then all pipits are large

it's the smallest pipit in the whole of the sub-continent

Tim

Maybe, but it's still on the page labelled 'Large Pipits' (plate 143), as opposed to 'Pipits' (plate 144) in Grimmit et al o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back