• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bristol/Avon Birding (1 Viewer)

Hey Larry, any suggestions or tips where to have a look on Sunday as planning my first trip locally?
Many Thanks

Darren

Hi Darren, I'd second Darren's suggestion of trying Chew Valley Lake. You can see plenty of birds from Herons Green and Herriot's Bridge without having to use the hides.

Alternatively, if you feel like/can manage going a little further away, it might be a great day out trying to look for the smart American Robin that's in south Devon (see the rare birds section of BF)

Last edited:
I have just found this thread and as I am a Bristol birder will follow in future. Can anyone tell me what is around Chew Lake at the moment? Thanks

Went to have a look for the Keynsham Great Grey Shrike yesterday. There was another birder there when I arrived. We didn't find it by the time I left at about 12 30pm but it looks like the other chap was lucky as it was found at around 1pm further along the bridle track

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Great Grey Shrike still showing near Keynsham today (not been back myself)

Glaucous Gull at New Passage today.

Blagdon Lake still has Slav Grebe,Pink Footed Geese,Bewick's Swans and Long Tailed Duck

Short Eared Owls continue to show at Marshfield

As for my own patch, highlights today 4 Gadwall,5 Tufties and 2 Raven "Quality" 8-P

Yes seen the photos on Avon Birding and Clevedon Birding.

Parking could be interesting though if its still at the end of Wharf road

Also 3 or so Twite at Oldbury Power Station

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back