• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodcock roding (1 Viewer)

Stoggler

Getting to grips with young gulls
Hi

Quick question - up to how late in the year do Woodcock do their roding? Have I missed it for this year?

Thanks

Hi

Quick question - up to how late in the year do Woodcock do their roding? Have I missed it for this year?

Judging by my experience (FWIW since it was in Scotland at only one place), you just might have. I spent not a few weekend evenings at Aberlady Bay (East Lothian) many years ago watching roding woodcock above the pines at Blackford Plantation. This was over a 3-year-period. The earliest I ever saw roding was on February 29th, the latest June 20th.

Woodcock breed at Aberlady & on August 8th one year I had the good fortune to flush a woodcock with large young which flew off with one of the babies dangling between its thighs. A red-letter day! Woodcock carrying young in flight was something I had read about but certainly never expected to see.

I'd have thought you might still be all right, I'll keep an eye out as I skulk about in the dusk round here anyway and let you know.

John

Getting towards the end of the English roding period , but you could get one still roding over the next couple of weeks. Late April and May is usualy the best time.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back