• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birds don't like live mealworms (1 Viewer)

HartleyHare

I bought a tub of live mealworms and have just put some out and the birds won't touch them. They ignored the bowl I put them in ( its a bowl they are used to ) and started queueing to get onto the fatball and peanut feeders instead |:S||:S|. So, I removed the feeders and now they all sat on top of the bushes glaring down at me. What shall I do ??

Can you not leave the bowl out and see if they come to it after a while?

I did just that and mixed the worms in with the stuff in the bowl. Now 2 hours later the bowl is bare apart form a few worms |>| I thought they were supposed to love live worms ? Shall I just all their usual stuff away and just leave them the worms ?

I would continue to leave out your usual feeders as well as the worms. Sometimes birds take a little while to get used to new things.

The Starlings love them, so does the Jackdaw but the Sparrows ( who I bought the worms for ) just look at it in disgust.

I put out a bowl this morning before the Starlings arrived and they all sat in a line on the top of the bushes and stared at me in total silence. It was the silence that was eery as they are usually chattering away amongst themselves and hopping about on the bushes waiting to get onto the table. After I had put the bowl down a couple of the adult birds came and had a look and then flew off. left teh bowl for an hour or so and then gave in and put out their usual breakfast. You have never heard some a clamouring and jabbering |:D|

I thought Sparrows love live mealworms and will feed them to their chicks ??

The Starlings love them, so does the Jackdaw but the Sparrows ( who I bought the worms for ) just look at it in disgust.

I put out a bowl this morning before the Starlings arrived and they all sat in a line on the top of the bushes and stared at me in total silence. It was the silence that was eery as they are usually chattering away amongst themselves and hopping about on the bushes waiting to get onto the table. After I had put the bowl down a couple of the adult birds came and had a look and then flew off. left teh bowl for an hour or so and then gave in and put out their usual breakfast. You have never heard some a clamouring and jabbering |:D|

I thought Sparrows love live mealworms and will feed them to their chicks ??

Maybe your sparrows have enjoyed your bounty for so long that they have forgotten what live food looks like??

Maybe your sparrows have enjoyed your bounty for so long that they have forgotten what live food looks like??

My hubby says they are totally spoilt - he got all upset because I bought them some cheese scones and he thought they were for him :-O Seriously though, they eat the dried mealworms so why don't they like the fresh ones ? And they eat the flies that conveniently expire on the windowsill.

My hubby says they are totally spoilt - he got all upset because I bought them some cheese scones and he thought they were for him :-O Seriously though, they eat the dried mealworms so why don't they like the fresh ones ? And they eat the flies that conveniently expire on the windowsill.

Food that fights back!
A new and frightening development. More at 11.

my house sparrows love live mealworms,keep putting them out and they will take them.

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 58
The meal worms are turning into beetles |8.| They have been kept in fridge in a plastic tub and only taken out one a day. I found 2 beetles in the tub this morning. What shall I do ? There are still quite a lot of worms left and I don't want a fridge full of beetles. Will the birds eat the beeltes ?

Oh, I love your photos Roger1234!

Last edited:
Hi Hartleyhare,

I'm surprised your birds do not like live meal worms, mine love them and if you go to RSPB Titchwell a Robin who well mug you for them on the carpark.

Nigel

The meal worms are turning into beetles |8.| They have been kept in fridge in a plastic tub and only taken out one a day. I found 2 beetles in the tub this morning. What shall I do ? There are still quite a lot of worms left and I don't want a fridge full of beetles. Will the birds eat the beeltes ?

Oh, I love your photos Roger1234!

You can pick out the ones getting ready to emerge as adults, just select the pupae that are starting to get dark.
Alternatively, you can start your own colony in a plastic bucket, some damp newspapers with oat bran rations will keep them coming, harvest as necessary.

Eek....only just seen your post!! How brave you are! I got squeamish the first time I bought DRIED mealworms as they moved as I opened the tub!! :eek!:
Now, beetles in da fridge....oh, no way!! :-C
Think many of our birds are spoilt. I hung up new feeders, cleaned birdtable, put all fresh food there and provided the usual sparkling water and they all disappeared for hours and still don't seem happy.....the dogs are getting quiite jealous!! o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back