• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Help (1 Viewer)

jjw

Hello all,

I'm a novice at birding and at BirdForum. I imagine the bird pictured is a ruby-throated hummingbird, as I believe they are the only ones who regularly visit northern Virginia, USA. I wonder, though, if it is a female or an immature male. It was spotted taking advantage of a honeysuckle vine in mid-September.

Thanks,
Julie

Attachments

• HUMMINGBIRD_SIPPING.JPG
    HUMMINGBIRD_SIPPING.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Hummingbird_zoomed.JPG
    Hummingbird_zoomed.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 144
Hi, Julie!

A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this eastern species of hummer and not lucky enough to get them where I live, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can confirm the ID for you.

Nice photos, too!

I am not certain if you can tell juvenile male and female Ruby-throated Hummingbirds apart. But I suppose someone will be along shortly who will be able to let you know.

Welcome to BirdForum!

Well, I'm going to throw a fly into the ointment and say that the hummer in the second photo is probably a juvie male.

jjw said:
Hello all,

I'm a novice at birding and at BirdForum. I imagine the bird pictured is a ruby-throated hummingbird, as I believe they are the only ones who regularly visit northern Virginia, USA. I wonder, though, if it is a female or an immature male. It was spotted taking advantage of a honeysuckle vine in mid-September.

Thanks,
Julie

And I'm going to agree with KC (always a good bet). The reason I say that is because of the throat. The young males have a better defined area which looks like a "five o'clock shadow" whereas the adult (or juvenile) female may have as much or more spotting here, but not as consistent and well defined as the juvenile male.

I'm doing this from memory, but if you really want to confirm this, check out 'The Peterson Guide to Hummingbirds' written by Sherri Williamson. She's got all the little details you'll need to ID almost any hummingbird that is likely to ever arrive in the US or Canada.

And congrats on the great photos!

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for your kindly words of welcome and nice comments on my photos! I'll try to lay hands on "The Peterson Guide to Hummingbirds." Sounds like a good bet.

The hummingbird in question was quite entertaining for the one day it was in my backyard. It jealously guarded the honeysuckle from another hummer, who insistently attempted an invasion of the sacred precinct from the far side of the fence. Whenever the interloper got within about 20 feet, the self-designated owner attacked ferociously and drove it away. The owner proved that it was courageous beyond its means by also pouncing on two blue jays that were innocently eating peanuts in the yard and had no evil designs on the honeysuckle whatsover.

Thanks once again,
Julie

Dave B Smith said:
And I'm going to agree with KC (always a good bet). The reason I say that is because of the throat. The young males have a better defined area which looks like a "five o'clock shadow" whereas the adult (or juvenile) female may have as much or more spotting here, but not as consistent and well defined as the juvenile male.

I'm doing this from memory, but if you really want to confirm this, check out 'The Peterson Guide to Hummingbirds' written by Sherri Williamson. She's got all the little details you'll need to ID almost any hummingbird that is likely to ever arrive in the US or Canada.

And congrats on the great photos!
There is a small (very small) heavier spot on the throat. That's why I said juvie female.

Well KC, I'm with Dan on this one, only my id is older female. It is not unusual for older Ruby-throated females to develop a spotted throat and even some color in the gorget. On the other hand, this bird has a lot of white on her tail - far too much IMHO for it to be a juvinile male.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back