• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D:\ drive gone wrong! (1 Viewer)

colonelboris

Right way up again
Hi all,

the cd drive on my in-laws' computer has gone a bit wrong in that the computer doesn't see it anymore. I think they 'unplugged' it acidentally using the dialog box you use for unplugging usb sticks and now you can't get the computer to see it. It still works: if you prise the tray open a bit, the lights come on and you can put cd romss in, but they don't autoplay and there's no way to access it.
Any sugestions?

Tony

colonelboris said:
Hi all,

the cd drive on my in-laws' computer has gone a bit wrong in that the computer doesn't see it anymore. I think they 'unplugged' it acidentally using the dialog box you use for unplugging usb sticks and now you can't get the computer to see it. It still works: if you prise the tray open a bit, the lights come on and you can put cd romss in, but they don't autoplay and there's no way to access it.
Any sugestions?

Tony

Have you looked at its device properties in Device Manager? Don't know what os you are using but you might try reloading drivers or even remove the drive from device manager (not physically) altogether and allowing it to re detect on reboot.

Last edited:
Go to control panel, (==>Start ==>Control Panel)

==> administrative tools
==> computer management

In computer management navigate to disk management

==>Computer Management Local
==> Storage
==> Disk Management

Here you can see your Hard disk and CD ROM Listing if you found CD ROM here than right click on it and choose "change drive letter and path" , Dialog box will open click on add, and choose drive letter.

Now you can access your CD Drive with this drive letter?

If you can't see the CD-Rom here then you have physical connection problem and/or a driver problem. However, in the first instance this is what you should try.

get back and tell US how you got on.............

Andrew

Last edited:
Nope - there's no trace of it anywhere on the computer and I couldn't get the back to look for a make and model to get a new driver. I'll try again when I'm next at the in-laws...
Cheers,

Tony

Hmm, ok - get me the specs and OS and I'll look into it for you Tony - can be a real awkward thing to get working ... if it's XP, can you get hold of the System logs from Computer Management - they may be of some assistance?

Cheers,

Andy.

If it is out of warrenty, then turn it off, open up the box pull all the plugs out of the back of the CD drive, remember what they are, label if necessary. Start up the machine, then shut it down. Reconnect the drive and then restart.

My modem used to this periodically, and the only way to get it to refind it was to do the above.

If it's still in warrenty then get them to do it for you!

Hope you have some success

Mono

colonelboris said:
Nope - there's no trace of it anywhere on the computer and I couldn't get the back to look for a make and model to get a new driver. I'll try again when I'm next at the in-laws...
Cheers,

Tony
If it's WinXP, using "System Restore" to return the computer to its state when the CD-ROM drive worked should do the trick. If that fails, if the device shows in "Device Manager", you could boot into "Safe Mode" (press F8 just after start-up), go into Device Manager and uninstall the CD-ROM, then, on reboot, WinXP should re-detect it and re-install the drivers.

There's no chance someone's been inside the box and disturbed the connection to it, is there? Here's a web page that discusses this problem: http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/2645

I have seen firewalls end up blocking devices if you are not careful this can really play havok with your system. you could try logging in as a different account and see if it works there then it could have to do just with that one profile. You might be able to just get another profile to work.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back