• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Would you expect to see this down the objective lense ? (1 Viewer)

mrlimbo

Well i get all the luck , dont i :C
Anyway my new bins arrived , seemed great , but when i looked down the objective lense , one of them had a line going diagonally across it from top to bottom , the other lense is clean as a whistle , seems to me like a drop of hot glue made the thread when being manufactured.Now the seller is trying to tell me all bins have these lines :-@ , even though he hasnt got the bins back as i only posted them today.
P1020448mid.jpg

Pentax Roof Prism

Yes stop worrying! Its a roof binocular, and thats the prism your seeing!
Oh and your looking throgh the wrong end LOL........

Well i have to disagree , ive got 3 other roofs and its not visible in any of them , also this is in just one lense not both, and if its a prism , its a very strange one as its circular and about 1mm in diameter ?

Well i have to disagree , ive got 3 other roofs and its not visible in any of them , also this is in just one lense not both, and if its a prism , its a very strange one as its circular and about 1mm in diameter ?

Ahh I thought my meant both lenses and across the diameter. Probably won't effect viewing but get them changed.

mrlimbo,

I am not sure about which effect you are talking about. When you say "a line going diagonally across it from top to bottom " and later: "its a very strange one as its circular and about 1mm in diameter"?

These lines visible at the photo are in all roofprism binoculars and in both barrels. It, just because of the roofprism construction. It's also these lines who cause "spikes" across the field of view when looking against strong light sources, which you should have noticed through your other roofs.

Regards, Patric

mrlimbo,

I am not sure about which effect you are talking about. When you say "a line going diagonally across it from top to bottom " and later: "its a very strange one as its circular and about 1mm in diameter"?

These lines visible at the photo are in all roofprism binoculars and in both barrels. It, just because of the roofprism construction. It's also these lines who cause "spikes" across the field of view when looking against strong light sources, which you should have noticed through your other roofs.

Regards, Patric

Yes this does start to look to be the case , very srange , anyway im getting a replacement pair.
Thanks everyone for the help.

Yes this does start to look to be the case , very srange , anyway im getting a replacement pair.
Thanks everyone for the help.

maybe start worrying the other barrel that does not have this line? maybe they forgot to put in the prisms in. :D

Well two pairs later and having the same problem with both (a blurred spot in the centre of fov) i ended up with a pair of "Bushnell 8x42 Discoverer" and wow what a great bin !!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back