• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adult Myrtle Warbler (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
This is a spring male "Myrtle Warbler" form of the Yellow-rumped Warbler. The only one I found in the Gallery was that of an immature.

This is the eastern form, which has a white throat wrapping up behind well-defined dark cheek patch.

Attachments

• 041104myrtlewarblercut.jpg
    041104myrtlewarblercut.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 319
The way I've always heard it for butterbutts(yellowrumpt warblers) is myrtyl in the east and Audubon's west of the Mississippi
Sam

Beautiful shot KC! And yes the Missippi is a good "rough" guide till you come to Mexico. Then they both are found throughout most of the country in winter. And while the Audubon's range supposedly doesn't include Campeche, I had several here one year.

In South Dakota we get Myrtle almost exclusively in the eastern part of the state, and Audubons are common in the Black Hills. The same applies to Indigo/Lazuli Buntings, Baltimore/Bullocks Orioles, Eastern/Mountain Bluebirds.
Its kinda fun to try to find them in the "wrong" half of the state!
Paul
SD

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back