• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

zeiss 8x56 GAT* Dialyt (1 Viewer)

Renze,

Look closely at the hinge and the eyecups.

They make the same mistake in this review:

http://www.allbinos.com/177-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_8x56_T*_FL.html

... but they do include a cutaway of the Victory FL at the top. The three below it should be labeled: 8x56 Dialyt (top), 8x56 Night Owl (middle) and 8x56 Victory (bottom).

Henry

Ah, I see, the confusion is between the original Victory and the Victory FL. Which brings me to the question if I have ever seen a diagram of a true Victory FL? Have you, Henry?

Renze

I've seen diagrams of the 8x32 and 8x42 FL's, but the 8x56 FL cutaway at the top of the review is the only internal view I've seen of a 56mm FL.

Henry

I want to thank all for their responses.
I am getting a lot more than I expected
-the good
-the bad (not really)
-the ugly (the dialyts really are, but in an appealing way)

I look forward for their arrival to see if I made a great purchase, mistake, or just so-so;
but I have history on my side-I doubt any of my other binoculars will still be available 40-50 years after introduction (other than my 25x150 fujinons.)

edj

edj,
Every binocular I have ever bought, despite my supposedly exhaustive searches on the web for comments and reviews of it, between the time I ordered it and the time it arrived, I have discovered a scathing review. You should feel especially rotten, one being contributed especially for you! Ha Ha! Keeps us on "the middle path".
Ron

PS. Seriously, thanks Renze. Everybody, give everything hell all the time.

it would be so easy if there were just one-perfect-binocular for all
that we would all agree was the best and could not be improved upon

maybe we have that on the astronomy side with the Tak Astronomer 22x60.
It was a $1200 pair when produced and not many noticed it,
now, it is considered the best ever made and sells for $2000+ when available

the middle path-we us and enjoy the binocular that we are with

or as said in song
"if you are not with the binocular you love, then love the one you are with"

edj

Last edited:
Renze,

Look closely at the hinge and the eyecups.

They make the same mistake in this review:

http://www.allbinos.com/177-binoculars_review-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_8x56_T*_FL.html

... but they do include a cutaway of the Victory FL at the top. The three below it should be labeled: 8x56 Dialyt (top), 8x56 Night Owl (middle) and 8x56 Victory (bottom).

Henry

Henry is absolutely right about the labelling.

These three diagrams dramatically show the reduction in overall length of Zeiss's 'manly bins' as well as the thin-lens tech or Advanced Optical System in the diagram of Victory I. It really would be nice to find a similar diagram of FL to compare.

Lee

The 8x56 dialyt classic came last week, and with limited time with them
pro
-sturdy construction
-very good optics
-fun to use
-really do look cool
con
-heavy at 35 oz
-more narrow FOV
-not waterproof

over all, I like them, really like them
but will be better able to compare to
others when the new wears off and
I get more experience with them

edj

I have both 7X42 and 8X56 dialyt. They are very comfortable to hold. I do not use 8x56 often, it's huge.

Newly made 8x56 provides a relatively neutral image color, and bright. My 90's 7x42, has got a yellow/green tint.

Attachments

• 9673.jpg
    9673.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 9674.jpg
    9674.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 9676.jpg
    9676.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 406
  • 9678.jpg
    9678.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 477
I bought a Dialyt 8x56 BGAT back in 1991 in Sydney. Last of the stock that still said Made In West Germany. It has all its bits and pieces and tripod adapter.

Still a beautiful binocular. I used it mainly for astro back then where it excels. The light gathering is amazing. Things that blend into darkness in even my Leica 10x42 will magically appear resolved in the Dialyts.

Still have it and its a true classic.

I bought a Dialyt 8x56 BGAT back in 1991 in Sydney. Last of the stock that still said Made In West Germany. It has all its bits and pieces and tripod adapter.

Still a beautiful binocular. I used it mainly for astro back then where it excels. The light gathering is amazing. Things that blend into darkness in even my Leica 10x42 will magically appear resolved in the Dialyts.

Still have it and its a true classic.

Hi Zuiko

Glad you are still enjoying this old but still respected classic bin.

I may be being too literal-minded here but your wording about 'the last stock saying made in Germany' could suggest it has been made elsewhere. As far as I know it was (is) only made in Germany; or do you have other information?

Lee

just a brief compare between the Dialyt and my SW 8.5x42 EL (pre SV)

SW smaller, lighter, larger FOV
Dialyt has less CA
sharpness of image the same
quality of construction the same but Dialyt has a more "plastic" feel

edj

just a brief compare between the Dialyt and my SW 8.5x42 EL (pre SV)

SW smaller, lighter, larger FOV
Dialyt has less CA
sharpness of image the same
quality of construction the same but Dialyt has a more "plastic" feel

edj

Edj

Your findings are strange as I didn't think plastics had been invented when the Dialyt's were being manufactured ;)

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back