• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Banding in St. Joseph, Missouri (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

Fall bird banding is in full swing here in St. Joseph, Missouri. We have three banding stations on the campus of Missouri Western State University here in the city. Typically we are netting/banding about 40 birds each morning we band. This should increase once we begin getting the cooler temperatures and the wind from the north. It is still pretty warm here in Missouri.

Birds banded at the station I visited this morning.
House Wren - 3
Gray Catbird - 4
Magnolia Warbler - 1
Black-and-white Warbler - 1
Nashville Warbler - 2
Red-eyed Vireo - 1
Least Flycatcher - 1
Brown Thrasher - 2
Northern Flicker - 1
Traill's Flycatcher - 1
Black-capped Chickadee - (1 recapture)
Ovenbird - (1 recapture)
Nashville Warbler - (1 recapture)

* Just as an aside *
This Saturday we will be banding Monarch Butterflies as they continue to head south to Mexico. Our location for doing this will be north of St. Joseph to Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge (Mound City, Missouri). It should be quite interesting for me, as this will be the first time I have been involved in this program.

I spent a couple of hours at the banding nets this morning and netted ZERO birds!
Usually catch at least a couple! They must all be where they want to be at the moment and are not moving!
Perhaps tomorrow will be more productive! (Hope it does not rain!)

Species banded today at our St. Joseph, Missouri, location:
Gray Catbird - 4, Yellow-rumped Warbler - 3, Golden-crowned Kinglet - 3, Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 3, House Wren - 1, Brown Creeper - 2, Hermit Thrush - 1, Northern Cardinal - 1 & Nashville Warbler - 1

And three (4) recaptured species: Northern Cardinal, Gray Catbird, Black-capped Chickadee & Blue Jay.

We may have banded a bird this morning which would be a record bird for Missouri!

TOWNSEND'S WARBLER
Very similar to the common Black-throated Green Warbler, but there are some subtle differences.
We are awaiting confirmation! (DNA testing of two tail feathers.)

*Townsend's Warblers are usually found in the coastal states of the western United States.
(Mainly Washington)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back