• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request for colour-ringed Curlew sightings (1 Viewer)

Alamootie

Colour-ringed Eurasian Curlews on Orkney

During the past three years over 200 curlew have been individually colour-marked on Orkney and Grampian in an attempt to find out more about our local population movements, site fidelity etc. I attach an image to show the rings the birds may be wearing. All rings are on the tarsus for this project. I'd be delighted to hear of any sightings of these birds.

During the past week I have been checking many curlews on Orkney for rings and have come across a couple of birds out with our scheme and I am trying to trace where they may have come from. There is always a risk that they have lost rings as they are long lived birds and I have tried the usual routes; wader study group, cr-birding.org, BTO etc. Any help tracing the following also appreciated.

Curlew 1 - Left Leg - Plain White colour ring on Tibia, Plain White colour ring over metal ring on Tarsus - No rings on the right leg at all.

Curlew 2 - Left Leg - Plain Yellow colour ring on Tibia, with a metal ring only on Tarsus. Right Leg - Plain Blue colour-ring on tarsus - No other rings present.

Many thanks
Alamootie

Attachments

• IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Colour-ringed Curlew, Orkney.JPG
    Colour-ringed Curlew, Orkney.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Orkney Curlew Chick, individually colour-ringed.JPG
    Orkney Curlew Chick, individually colour-ringed.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 38
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back