• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New To Me Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 B T*p* (1 Viewer)

I have the later model The classic. Got it boxed as new and paid a price I am not putting on here { In case my other half reads this } Said it before they are a German engineering master piece. An Icon.

It's quite fascinating that despite the 7x42 Dialyt being in such hot demand, and more generally being regarded as one of the best Zeiss birding binoculars ever (and the 7x42FL also highly thought of, from what I can gather), Zeiss appears to have completely abandoned the alpha 7x market to Leica. I'm sure the company must have done its market research thoroughly, of course, but I can't help but wonder how a 7x42 SF, for instance, with say a 160m field of view would be received. Your thoughts, everyone?

Jerry Liquori wrote in his book "HAWKS from every angle" that he used 7x binoculars because of their wide FOV. See page 11. In his book "HAWKS at a Distance" he said he used Zeiss 7x45 Nightowls from 1994 until 2008 when he got the Zeiss 7x42 Victory. He used them because of their very wide FOVs.

It is easy to make nearly distortion free 7x42s with 8º FOVs (420'@1000yds). They show some pincushion at the edges. The Nikon EDG and Leica Ultravid 7x42s have 8º FOVs and Swarovski had a 7x42 SLC B up until 2010 when they discontinued it. They all are superb binoculars. Even my old long discontinued Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA with Uppendahl prisms had an 8º FOV without distortions and it still is a fine general use birding binocular.

High priced, top of the line, easy to use, distortion free 7x binoculars like those mentioned above don't sell very well. It is doubtful than a quality 7x42 with a 9º (472.50') field of view would sell very well either.

Bob

Last edited:
It's quite fascinating that despite the 7x42 Dialyt being in such hot demand, and more generally being regarded as one of the best Zeiss birding binoculars ever (and the 7x42FL also highly thought of, from what I can gather), Zeiss appears to have completely abandoned the alpha 7x market to Leica. I'm sure the company must have done its market research thoroughly, of course, but I can't help but wonder how a 7x42 SF, for instance, with say a 160m field of view would be received. Your thoughts, everyone?

The market rules.
Everybody talks about the 7x but buys an 8 or 10x.
Zeiss would jump right on the 7x market if there would even be a market.
BTW, next to Leica there is another alpha brand, starting with an M that still produces a 7x42.

Jan

The market rules.
Everybody talks about the 7x but buys an 8 or 10x.
Zeiss would jump right on the 7x market if there would even be a market.
BTW, next to Leica there is another alpha brand, starting with an M that still produces a 7x42.

Jan

...and don't forget Nikon EDG 7x42 which looks to still be available special order.

Also, not an "alpha" name brand, but Kite makes a 7x42 which I've always been curious about.
I wonder if anyone on the forum has one or has tried one and could let us know what they think:

https://kiteoptics.com/en/nature/product/30/ibis-ed/

Last edited:
GILMORE GIRL, POST 25,
I have investigated the Kite Ibis 7x42, 8x42 etc in 2011.
The 7x42 is a very nice binocular for its price and one of the few 7x42's left on the market, weight 729 g, close focus 1,6 m, FOV 128m/1000m, eyerelief 19,5 mm, waterproof and gas-filled, transmission 90% (500 nm) to 92% (550 nm). I do not know the present price but in 2011 it was slightly below 1000 euros.
Another 7x42 to consider is the Meopta Meostar 7x42: excellent binocular and very much underrated which is not justified considering its excellent performance.
Gijs van Ginkel

GILMORE GIRL, POST 25,
I have investigated the Kite Ibis 7x42, 8x42 etc in 2011.
The 7x42 is a very nice binocular for its price and one of the few 7x42's left on the market, weight 729 g, close focus 1,6 m, FOV 128m/1000m, eyerelief 19,5 mm, waterproof and gas-filled, transmission 90% (500 nm) to 92% (550 nm). I do not know the present price but in 2011 it was slightly below 1000 euros.
Another 7x42 to consider is the Meopta Meostar 7x42: excellent binocular and very much underrated which is not justified considering its excellent performance.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks Gijs :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back