• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (39 Viewers)

The BHG roost tonight

The pic hopefully gives you an impression of the roost, but the noise was overwhelming.B :)

Attachments

• 1500 BHG roostingDSCF6911 (2).JPG
    1500 BHG roostingDSCF6911 (2).JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 154
Keith, it puzzled me too. I think he is saying that in urban Digbeth he reached a score of somewhere between 10 and 20 different species. I haven't been able to make the web-link work to check if that is right.

Peter

Thanks Peter...It's b***** obvious now you have told me....lol

Worked in Digbeth for 27 years....one highlight was the Black Redstarts...before I lost my ability to hear most birds singing the Males were spectacular singing out over the traffic.

Keith :t:

Keith

John told me of your donation. Thanks.

Paul

At last I feel I have contributed without getting my hands dirty.....;)

Fantastic carry around book as well...only gripe is it gives birds sizes as S,M,L,G and E.....wish it could have been in measurements - even metric would have done.

Thanks Peter...It's b***** obvious now you have told me....lol

Worked in Digbeth for 27 years....one highlight was the Black Redstarts...before I lost my ability to hear most birds singing the Males were spectacular singing out over the traffic.

Very sorry for the confusing post. Yes, I saw around 15 species in urban Digbeth on Sunday morning. The link that apparently didn't work referred to urban birding in London (where diversity is increasing), and Parakeets are common to the west of London.

Apologies again for the confusion.

Very sorry for the confusing post. Yes, I saw around 15 species in urban Digbeth on Sunday morning. The link that apparently didn't work referred to urban birding in London (where diversity is increasing), and Parakeets are common to the west of London.

Apologies again for the confusion.

John,

No worries. Parakeets are regularly recorded at RSPB Sandwell. There is a fear that as tree-nesting birds they may drive out some of our natives such as nuthatches.

Peter

This concern has been raised regarding the South Birmingham pair but so far the parakeets have had no affect on other tree hole nesting birds.

At another, earlier location in South Birmingham, ring necked parakeets stayed around for about three years. During this period lesser spotted woodpeckers successfully bred in a tree adjacent to where the parakeets nested.
It is thought the demise of the original pair was caused by sparrowhawk predation.

Last edited:
This concern has been raised regarding the South Birmingham pair but so far the parakeets have had no affect on other tree hole nesting birds.

At another, earlier location in South Birmingham, ring necked parakeets stayed around for about three years. During this period lesser spotted woodpeckers successfully bred in a tree adjacent to where the parakeets nested.
It is thought the demise of the original pair was caused by sparrowhawk predation.

There were loads of them in Hyde Park a couple of weeks ago, must be a good population to study..
Probably won't belong before they go in the litlle black book for the gun brigade, will need something to aim at after they have finished with badgers, foxes, Ruddy Duck,Cormorants, Keith the Seal etc etc ( all in the name of wildlife of course o:)

Can someone explain to me how they think Ring-necked Patakeets - a secondary cavity nester -could interfere with the nesting prospects of Nuthatch or Lesser Spotted Woodpecker? Bit of a size mis-match don't you think? Surely they would compete with larger species for nesting sites - such as Stock Doves and Little Owls.

Blackredstarts

Now gone from those parts it seems. Used to breed by the Blues ground.

The purpose of the 2004 Eastside/Digbeth survey was to identify black redstart breeding territories so any subsequent development wouldn't adversely affect these birds. One idea was to promote the use of green roofs.
The resident population was overestimated. At best there were no more than two breeding pairs. There were several non breeding males which might have caused some confusion. Historical records had also been added which inflated the number.

As said earlier, I recorded nearly forty species of bird over a three month period. Approximately three quarters were breeding or probable breeding. However, at least a third were declining and are now probably absent:

grey heron, canada goose, mallard, sparrowhawk, kestrel, peregrine falcon. moorhen, coot, lesser black backed gull, wood pigeon, collared dove,swift, swallow, grey wagtail, pied wagtail. wren, dunnock, robin, black restart, northern wheatear, blackbird, song thrush, mistle thrush, common whitethroat, blackcap. chiffchaff, willow warbler, blue tit, great tit, magpie, carrion crow, starling, house sparrow, chaffinch, goldfinch, linnet.

Last edited:
Blackredstarts

Now gone from those parts it seems. Used to breed by the Blues ground.

The purpose of the 2004 Eastside/Digbeth survey was to identify black redstart breeding territories so any subsequent development wouldn't adversely affect these birds. One idea was to promote the use of green roofs.
The resident population was overestimated. At best there were no more than two breeding pairs. There were several non breeding males which might have caused some confusion. Historical records had also been added which inflated the number.

As said earlier, I recorded nearly forty species of bird over a three month period. Approximately three quarters were breeding or probable breeding. However, at least a third were declining and are now probably absent:

grey heron, canada goose, mallard, sparrowhawk, kestrel, peregrine falcon. moorhen, coot, lesser black backed gull, wood pigeon, collared dove,swift, swallow, grey wagtail, pied wagtail. wren, dunnock, robin, black restart, northern wheatear, blackbird, song thrush, mistle thrush, common whitethroat, blackcap. chiffchaff, willow warbler, blue tit, great tit, magpie, carrion crow, starling, house sparrow, chaffinch, goldfinch, linnet.

This time last year, I'd seen Black Redstart and a few Wheatears locally, as well as Chiffy..it feels like hard going at present, forcast for the next few days hardly encouraging, and little passing through Portland Bill. The winter of 2011 has had hell of a run.

The point I was making was ring necked parakeets don't affect smaller hole nesting birds such as lesser spots or nuthatches.

Paul,

The point I was making is that mention of LS Woodpecker, especially, wrt the original post is pretty irrelevant since it is a primary cavity nester that excavates its own hole and not even the slimmest parakeet could fit in it and there is no potential for overlap in the requirements of the two species. In certain circumstances, nuthatches can appropriate larger holes but by plastering the entrance they reduce the potential for competition from parakeets and the overlap is minimal in the bulk of cases.

However, there are species for which the issue of nest site competition is relevant - and I suggest that any conservation justifications put forward for control of Parakeet numbers would be because of this.

Can someone explain to me how they think Ring-necked Patakeets - a secondary cavity nester -could interfere with the nesting prospects of Nuthatch or Lesser Spotted Woodpecker? Bit of a size mis-match don't you think? Surely they would compete with larger species for nesting sites - such as Stock Doves and Little Owls.

Point taken, Dave. You are quite right. I just grabbed the first tree-nesting bird I could think of as an example.

Peter

Point taken, Dave. You are quite right. I just grabbed the first tree-nesting bird I could think of as an example.

Peter

No problem Peter - like I say, Nuthatch is a very marginal case.

When difficult decisions need to be made in the name of conservation I think it is only right and proper that people understand the relevant issues. :t:

Today's highlights:

Couldn't make it for the evening session, but I'm sure anything of note will be made available.

FLASHES/SAILING POOL
Avocet (16)------------------Oystercatcher(2)
Curlew (4)--------------------Teal (2)
Greylag Goose (8)-------------B H Gull (c160)
Yellowhammer (over)----------G C Grebe (10)

MOORS:
Shelduck (2)-----------------Shoveler(11)
Gadwall (2prs)----------------Teal(5)
Pochard(2)-------------------Tufted Duck(37)
Snipe(5)----------------------Lapwing (4)
Little Grebe (2)---------------Peregrine
Redpoll (3)-------------------Mistle Thrush
Oystercatcher(4)------------ G C Grebe(2)

2 Grey Wags were reported on the River Salwarpe and there were 2 Teal on the N Moors.

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back