• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Sparrow ID - U.S./Central Ohio (1 Viewer)

prweasel

I have a devil of a time ID'ing Sparrows, for some reason. I guess I'm Sparrow-blind.

I shot these two images fields near Columbus, Ohio last week. When I was shooting, I assumed one (the profile shot) was a Field Sparrow but noticed when seeing the image that the bird didn't have the pink beak. I thought the other (with the front facing the camera) was a Song Sparrow, but it doesn't have the white throat surrounded by dark stripes. (Hey, I'm getting better. I can recognize what these birds aren't. I just can't identify what they are).

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 061121SharWd290.jpg
    061121SharWd290.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 061121SharWd295.jpg
    061121SharWd295.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 153
Thanks.

Thanks. Images in my two field guides didn't look similar enough to these images for me to reach that conclusion. Of course, the images in the two field guides don't look similar to each other, either.

Hi prweasel,

The bi-coloured beak together with the central spot on the breast are diagnostic for American Tree Sparrows, although some individuals do have less defined central spots than others.

These birds breed way up north and spend their winters in our neck of the woods (can't imagine why they'd want to overwinter here in Ottawa, though!).

One excellent book for identifying sparrows and finches (those LBJs!) is called Sparrows & Finches of the Great Lakes Region & Eastern North America by Chris Earley. It has some excellent pointers, fantastic photos, and comparisons of similar looking birds. And it's relatively inexpensive. I'll bet spending some time with that book will help you with your sparrow-blindness!

Regards,
Gillian

I'm sparrow blind too. :)
I just wanted to comment on how nice those photos are. The colours and composition are wonderful. Calendar material.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back