• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 15x50 IS Eye Cup Problem (1 Viewer)

mr30

hi

I am looking at getting these binoculars pretty soon and ive read a few reivies saying they are fantastic binoculars, BUT the eye cups arent very comfortable/ they dont fit the eye well. Has any one had any experience with this??

Thanks

I like my Canon IS 15x50 a lot, for relaxing when seawatching (i.e. when "scoping" with one eye becomes tiresome), or on outings when I don't want, or need, a scope. Until recently I kept the rubber eyecups rolled back, as I wore glasses when birding. A few months ago I had laser eye-surgery in one eye, with the result that I no longer need to wear glasses on outings. I find the Canons eyecups, when "extended", are truly uncomfortable and it's impossible for me, with rather deep eye-sockets, to get a full FOV with the eyecups in this position. I've gotten around the problem by rolling back the inner half of each eyecup and taping it down with a little duct-tape, so that they're now rather like "winged" eyecups, and very comfortable. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow and post it. (Alternatively you could simply cut the eyecup rubber with a scissors to suit your eyes).

Hi Mike (mr30)

Maybe check out my post under 'Canon' dated Thursday July 15th 2010 as I had similar concerns with the eye cups on my 15x50's. I use them almost daily and have had no further problems after the modification.

Doug.........

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back