• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Too many to choose. (1 Viewer)

Hi all, I have about £100 to spend on my first tripod and head. I've started looking but it is complete mind bender as there are so many to choose from. I want the best for my money and don't mind buying second hand.
Could anyone point me in the right direction as to makes and models to go for please.

Any help is appreciated, thankyou.

Velbon Sherpa with ph 157q head. Pan and tilt lock done in one twist of the arm, and I've not regretted my choice once since I got it.

I'm in the same boat. Haven't a clue where to start. I have a really cheap one someone got me years back which put me off tripods for life!!!! Never stays put !!! I want one that will take my spotting scope and also good for my canon with 400mm lens attached. Will this set up be ok for both? Is it rock solid?

I had to find a larger tripod for my 66mm scope. Although I have a few smaller tripods, I wanted one that I could stand and use without stooping. My unnamed tripod would just about do it with the centre section fully raised, but this them became a little wobbly.
I also wanted a removable centre section than could be used with a hide clamp.

The Manfrotto 190 and larger 055 seemed to fit the bill. A used 055 came from the bay and is huge and heavy, just the thing. A well priced head took several days to find. The Velbon PH157Q fits pretty well, although possibly looking slightly small on the wide top plate of the tripod. It's a good head, very sturdy and as far as I can see, without wobble or play. Great price too at the moment from Amazon.

Good luck in your search.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back