• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx-BirdLife Taxonomic Checklist (1 Viewer)

Catharus Thrushes

Russet-backed Thrush (ustulatus) is split from Swainson's Thrush using the Tobias et al. criteria.

Bicknell's Thrush is retained as a species, from Grey-cheeked Thrush but there is no application of the same criteria to these two very similar 'species' to determine whether they are similarly valid. Indeed the comment under minimus in respect of bicknelli makes you wonder whether the authors believe it is a good split. So why not apply the criteria?

I'm baffled. Can someone explain the different approach to birds in the same genus?

cheers, alan

Also some issues with splits where the species account doesn't have the check tick applied. Attached for Audubon's Warbler: I've seen it but I need to edit and save the sighting to get the tick to appear. Second species I've found in casual "over breakfast" look after updating all my sighting last night (Rennell Gerygone being the other)

First world problem I know but they do read this thread (if only when Guy prompts them..?)

Cheers, McM

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 07.49.22.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 07.49.22.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 07.49.30.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 07.49.30.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 133
Currently the 'splits' pages are not showing the passerine splits, after having them up yesterday. :(

Additional species I noted yesterday which were not split (these are all off the top of my head), although there have been varying degrees of evidence that a split might be... warranted? (perhaps a strong word for some of these). In none of the current entries for these species are Tobias scoring criteria mentioned.

Marsh Wren
Warbling Vireo
Red Crossbill (huge can of worms there!)
Curve-billed Thrasher
Bell's Vireo (even as the AOS is considering it)
Brown Creeper "
Nashville Warbler "
White-breasted Nuthatch
Pine Grosbeak
Evening Grosbeak
Hutton's Vireo
Hermit Thrush

Did they wish to avoid stirring the hornets' nest too much in North America, I wonder?

Would be interesting to know when newly described species (e.g. Scytalopus alvarezlopezi 2017) that are not in the two HBW checklists will got there species' accounts. Do they wait until a new printed checklist?

Currently the 'splits' pages are not showing the passerine splits, after having them up yesterday. :(

Additional species I noted yesterday which were not split (these are all off the top of my head), although there have been varying degrees of evidence that a split might be... warranted? (perhaps a strong word for some of these). In none of the current entries for these species are Tobias scoring criteria mentioned.

Marsh Wren
Warbling Vireo
Red Crossbill (huge can of worms there!)
Curve-billed Thrasher
Bell's Vireo (even as the AOS is considering it)
Brown Creeper "
Nashville Warbler "
White-breasted Nuthatch
Pine Grosbeak
Evening Grosbeak
Hutton's Vireo
Hermit Thrush

Did they wish to avoid stirring the hornets' nest too much in North America, I wonder?

I think it's more that they didn't exactly revisit each species and subspecies from scratch using the Tobias method. I think they picked a combination of taxa that are likely of conservation concern, are recognized elsewhere, and perhaps some "pet taxa" that the authors were specifically interested.

If you were to truly thoroughly apply the Tobias criteria to EVERY Passerine bird, there is no way in hell this would have been published this decade, not to mention year

In my Notes I only have him as:Grave here. Regarding his Middle name (if he had one?) have anyone asked Jan-Hendrik Becking? He seems to know the Bartels family pretty well? See here, BBOC 2008, pp.18-48.

Good luck finding it ... (if there´s anything to find)!?

Björn
--
The best work on Bartels - but in Dutch - it the thesis from Frank Rozendaal on the Bartels Family from April 1981. It shows a Green Peafowl on the coffin of Max Bartel Sr in April 1936. He died at 7 April 1936. His son Max Jr. travelled at 18 March 1932 to Bern from the Netherlands and sailed first to Colombo (Sri Lanka) he left at the latter by 2 July 1932 and arrived possibly a few weeks later in Java.

And (as mentioned earlier) the even more striking Stonechat example (failure to split European & Siberian from African) - so it can't just be avoiding N American questions. That none of these is threatened I'd think is a much more valid reason for their not looking at it.

Also some issues with splits where the species account doesn't have the check tick applied. Attached for Audubon's Warbler: I've seen it but I need to edit and save the sighting to get the tick to appear. Second species I've found in casual "over breakfast" look after updating all my sighting last night (Rennell Gerygone being the other)

First world problem I know but they do read this thread (if only when Guy prompts them..?)

Cheers, McM

If you go to the Species tab and then select "My list of checked species" you will get a list of splits you can tick off.

Choose "Manage my checks of Passerines" and you'll be taken to the page to do this.

Cheers
Liam

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 10.02.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 10.02.31 PM.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 10.05.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 10.05.00 PM.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
If you go to the Species tab and then select "My list of checked species" you will get a list of splits you can tick off.

Choose "Manage my checks of Passerines" and you'll be taken to the page to do this.

Cheers
Liam

Yep. Done that but still found these issues

I got about 20-25 new species from the splits, but the "Manage my checks" option seems to have a few problems. Eventhough I'm done with reviewing my species I'm still being shown Sri Lanka Swallow and Northern Grey Shrike to be checked, and eventhough I've never seen them and would like to remove them I can't as the option is missing.

Also while checking my splits several species appeared twice, e.g. African Blue Tit and Great Grey Shrike.

And wasn't there an option last time (when the non-passerines were updated) to show all the new splits (instead of just your own?). Will that be implemented soon?

@Arnau

1. I need to see list of Order, Family, Genus seen...plus same targets...is this in development?

2. How often is the taxonomy going to be updated? IOC does it quarterly and I like that very much...how 'bout you?

3. I want to be able to switch Heard Only (HO) to count/do not count depending on the list/trip - is that possible? For e.g., I will count Thrush Nightingale as HO for my Finnish year list but not for my World Life list where it must have been seen...

Good to know what you think

cheers
Mark

Hello Mark
Right now we are not working on a list of Order, Family and Genera seen.
We have not decided yet how often the HBW Alive taxonomy will be updated, but not quarterly. But we are working on the latest taxonomy changes.
And about your third question, in My Birding Preferences of My Birding Manual (http://www.hbw.com/tutorial/my-birding-preferences) we explain how to change the counting or not of the “Heard only” species in the Worldlist and other lists. The preferences chosen apply to all your lists. So the only option is to change your preferences when you want to find out your Finnish year list or your Word Life list. The changes can take up to 30 minutes to be applied, keep that in mind as you may not see the changes automatically once you change your preferences.
I hope this helps.
Best wishes.
Arnau

Hello Mark
Right now we are not working on a list of Order, Family and Genera seen.
We have not decided yet how often the HBW Alive taxonomy will be updated, but not quarterly. But we are working on the latest taxonomy changes.
And about your third question, in My Birding Preferences of My Birding Manual (http://www.hbw.com/tutorial/my-birding-preferences) we explain how to change the counting or not of the “Heard only” species in the Worldlist and other lists. The preferences chosen apply to all your lists. So the only option is to change your preferences when you want to find out your Finnish year list or your Word Life list. The changes can take up to 30 minutes to be applied, keep that in mind as you may not see the changes automatically once you change your preferences.
I hope this helps.
Best wishes.
Arnau

Hi Arnau

I, at least, am wishing for the calculation of Order/Family/Genus seen: dear old excel can manage it for me and I'm sure a database can too...is there development list on a whiteboard somewhere? ;)

It would be good that any decision on frequency of updates is publicised when made. I do hope it isn't once a year/decade/lifetime...or can it be rolling given you have a full time editorial team? Just publish what's changed since last update or something? The IOC quick response appeals to me at least.

For the list preferences, yes, I have set Heard Only = Do not count but what I was hoping for was that within, say, a trip (i keep my Finnish year lists under "Finland YYYY" UK under "UK YYYY" for example I could set that to Heard only = Do Count whilst maintaining my world stats as do not count...sounds like another for the development list :)

Cheers again, Mark

Dear Mark
Sorry for the delay answering you.
Soon it will be available the new page where calculation of Order/Family/Genus will be shown. Also, some more taxonomic features like the Scientific classification box...
About your second question, I can’t tell you right now. We are working on that.
And about the “hear only” question, right now what you propose it is not in the list of pending tasks we have. So the easiest would be to edit your HBW Alive profile, and change the “Don’t count "Heard only" species in my Worldlist and other lists”, so you can calculate both ways by choosing a different option.
We hope that you will like the new feature that counts the Order/Family/Genus seen.
Best wishes,
Arnau Bonan

Priority

Northern Fantail

Roti Fantail Rhipidura tenkatei
Timor Fantail Rhipidura rufiventris
Banda Fantail Rhipidura hoedti
Buru Fantail Rhipidura bouruensis
Obi Fantail Rhipidura obiensis
Seram Fantail Rhipidura cinerea
Kai Fantail Rhipidura assimilis
Biak Fantail Rhipidura kordensis
Northern Fantail Rhipidura isura

Huge carve up, aligned where relevant with Eaton et al. and probably all fine and dandy under more traditional criteria. Is there a common source paper? I didn't realise if that was the case.

cheers, a

The scientific name of Northern Fantail should be Rhipidura setosa

HBW Alive:
Subspecies and Distribution
R. i. vidua Salvadori & Turati, 1874 – Kofiau, in West Papuan Is.
R. i. gularis S. Müller, 1843 – Gebe I, West Papuan Is (except Kofiau), New Guinea, including islands in Geelvink Bay (except Biak; apparently absent from Numfor), Manam I, Goodenough I and Fergusson I, and islands in Torres Strait.
R. i. nigromentalis E. J. O. Hartert, 1898 – Louisiade Archipelago (Misima, Tagula), off SE New Guinea.
R. i. niveiventris Rothschild & E. J. O. Hartert, 1914 – Admiralty Is (Manus, Rambutyo), in NW Bismarck Archipelago.
R. i. mussai Rothschild & E. J. O. Hartert, 1924 – Mussau I, in St Matthias Group, N Bismarck Archipelago.
R. i. setosa (Quoy & Gaimard, 1830) – New Hanover, New Ireland and Djaul I, in EC Bismarck Archipelago.
R. i. gigantea Stresemann, 1933 – Tabar Is and Lihir Is (off E New Ireland), in EC Bismarck Archipelago.
R. i. tangensis Mayr, 1955 – Boang, in Tanga Is, in EC Bismarck Archipelago.
R. i. finschii Salvadori, 1882 – New Britain, Duke of York I, Watom I and Lolobau I, in S Bismarck Archipelago.
R. i. isura Gould, 1841 – N Australia from about Broome (in N Western Australia) E across Top End to NE Queensland (S to vicinity of Proserpine).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back