• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera for Kowa TSN-827 32X wide angle (1 Viewer)

helmutnc

helmutnc
I would like to have recommendations for a camera suitable for use with a Kowa TSN-827 32X wide angle.
I already have 3 digital cameras that don't work well with the scope, so I am not interested in spending a lot of money.

Helmut

Have a look at the threads here on the Nikon P5100 and the Canon A590IS. Either one give very good results.
Neil.

Can't go wrong with the Nikon 5100. Get the Kowa DCA with 28mm adapter, and the Nikon UR-E20 lens adapter and you've got an excellent digiscoping setup. No fussing with silly centering screws or swinging arms, just slide one tube onto another and you're ready to take a photo. (don't forget to set the camera to Aperture Priority Auto Exposure and the focussing to infinity)

p.s. I'm not familiar with the Kowa 827. Is it the 821/2/3/4?

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with the Nikon 5100. Get the Kowa DCA with 28mm adapter, and the Nikon UR-E20 lens adapter and you've got an excellent digiscoping setup. No fussing with silly centering screws or swinging arms, just slide one tube onto another and you're ready to take a photo. (don't forget to set the camera to Aperture Priority Auto Exposure and the focussing to infinity)

It is a 821, i goofed

___---

Don't know about the P5100 but the Canon A590IS cannot focus to infinity unless it is set to MF (manual focus) mode. Horukuru likes to set it to Macro mode for closer subjects (<50m.) Neil, Bob, can you shed any light on this?

Hi,

I use a 821 and p5100 and use both macro mode and infinity mode, not sure which works the best :) If you zoom just a little with the camera (the green part of the zoom) macro mode with the autofocus works the best. With more zoom the camera has difficulty finding focus.

For info on my adapter see the kowa subforum, just made a long post.

Only problem with this scope is that you will get alot of purple fringing when shooting high contrast subjects, can be removed in PS but it still fussies the pictures a bit. Some examples of photos can be found on http://www.laban.nu - digiscoping section. Most taken with 21x EP.

Regards Björn

Forget autofocus on the camera, set it to infinity mode(usually the landscape "mountain" symbol) and focus with the scope. In my experience, focus can jump if the camera is set to auto.

Why would you want to use the macro setting? The camera will perform at its best with the lens set to infinity!

Macro mode gives really good results, just check all the other P5100 threads. Focus jumps on infinity mode as well for some reason, the camera seems to change focus just a little when halfpressing the trigger.

I use the Canon 570IS with my Kowa 821 and get very decent results with it, although layers of regular glass rather then HD cause the pictures to look kind of grainy. I use the Kowa DA-1 Adapter to attach the camera to the scope.

If I were you I would consider buying the 570IS rather then the 590IS because there is still no CHDK firmware patch for the 590, maybe in a few months.

- Tamir

Forget autofocus on the camera, set it to infinity mode(usually the landscape "mountain" symbol) and focus with the scope. In my experience, focus can jump if the camera is set to auto.

I'll try it. That would be a lot simpler than to set the camera to Manual focus and then try to toggle the left or right arrows of the 590IS to go to infinity.

I've been using the Kowa 821 with an Oly c-60 (no longer available) for about 4 years and my favorite setting is landscape with optional person in forground. I focus using the scope focus while viewing the monitor. If I'm off on the focus the green light keeps blinking. If I'm on I get the solid green. With practice the green is typical and I like it because the bird can have branches in front but if I focus on the bird the bird is what I get. The CA is a problem but with a good focus usually mimimal although I am looking for a new scope now with floride to improve color and contrast.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back