• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor HD 85 wide angle eyepiece - worth getting? (1 Viewer)

HighNorth

Hi!

I am wondering if the 30x wide angle eyepiece for the Vortex Razor HD 85 mm spotting scope is worth getting?

It doesn't seem to be a major improvement over the variable zoom eyepiece when it comes to field of view, although I have heard that a fixed magnification e.p. usually has better resolution than a variable mag.

Taking into account that I am already quite satisfied with the view through the variable mag. eyepiece that came with the scope, I am not sure if it would be worth getting the 30x.

If anyone has any experience with this eyepiece, It would be good to get your opinion! :t:

I believe the Vortex 30x eyepiece is the same as the Zen-Ray 30x eyepiece that I reviewed along with the Zen-Ray ED scope a few years. It's a copy of the eyepiece from the Nikon SE series binoculars. It does not have better resolution than the Swarovski copy zoom eyepiece that comes with the Razor. That zoom is quite a good eyepiece even in the cloned form. It does not limit the scope's resolution.

I believe the Vortex 30x eyepiece is the same as the Zen-Ray 30x eyepiece that I reviewed along with the Zen-Ray ED scope a few years. It's a copy of the eyepiece from the Nikon SE series binoculars. It does not have better resolution than the Swarovski copy zoom eyepiece that comes with the Razor. That zoom is quite a good eyepiece even in the cloned form. It does not limit the scope's resolution.

So what you are saying is that I should stick with the zoom eyepiece?

I would keep the zoom even if you buy the 30x. You will certainly be able to see smaller details at the zoom's higher magnifications. The 30x has two advantages if you want them: wider field and longer eye relief than the zoom at 30x, but no higher resolution.

I would keep the zoom even if you buy the 30x. You will certainly be able to see smaller details at the zoom's higher magnifications. The 30x has two advantages if you want them: wider field and longer eye relief than the zoom at 30x, but no higher resolution.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll do a bit more thinking on the 30x then. :t:

Hi!

I am wondering if the 30x wide angle eyepiece for the Vortex Razor HD 85 mm spotting scope is worth getting?

It doesn't seem to be a major improvement over the variable zoom eyepiece when it comes to field of view, although I have heard that a fixed magnification e.p. usually has better resolution than a variable mag.

Taking into account that I am already quite satisfied with the view through the variable mag. eyepiece that came with the scope, I am not sure if it would be worth getting the 30x.

If anyone has any experience with this eyepiece, It would be good to get your opinion! :t:

Really good question, I have been wondering try same thing. Looks like you got some helpful answers too.

Something else to consider since we mentioned the similarity between the Vortex and Zen Ray models (not to mention a few other versions of this scope under other manufacturers' lable) is the 25-50x wide angle zoom available from the other brands. If I remember correctly, the WA zoom had a wider field of view at 30x than the 30x wide angle fixed power eyepiece did. Maybe Henry can verify that as I think he mentioned it in his review of the Zen Ray model.

If you're considering other manufacturer's eyepieces, don't forget a certain well-known Austrian brand has eyepieces that fit the Razor body...

I have the 30xSW on my Razor 85HD... :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back