• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 UK orchids (2 Viewers)

Could anyone confirm the ID of this Orchid please? Photograph taken in dunes near Barmouth, Gwynedd last week. I'm presuming one of the Marsh Orchids but not sure which. Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4131.JPG
    IMG_4131.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_4133.JPG
    IMG_4133.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 179
Could anyone confirm the ID of this Orchid please? Photograph taken in dunes near Barmouth, Gwynedd last week. I'm presuming one of the Marsh Orchids but not sure which. Many thanks

I'd go with Northern Marsh-orchid, given the shape of the lip and the location - Morfa Dyffryn, I assume?

But, as you probably know, the Marsh orchids can be a nightmare to identify. Last year I was just down the coast from there at Ynyslas which has Northern Marsh, Northern Marsh var. cambrensis, Southern Marsh, Early Marsh and Narrow-leaved Marsh plus all the hybrids growing together. I've got loads of photos of plants that I still can't identify.

Rog

Many thanks Rich. I'm going to do a better job of documenting them over the next few days. I was interleaving the job with the much less pleasurable one of documenting the ash die-back situation on our land.

There certainly seems to be quite some variation in flower-head shape, flower colouration and petal markings as well as leaf shape etc. As for the one in the lawn I hope the attached picture is better for identification.

Interesting looking flower, bit odd looking for Southern Marsh, but probably even further out for any of the other marsh/spotted orchids. These plants can be a bit of a nightmare, they are so variable with the possibility of introgression from other species. Lone flowers are often a problem, I tend to look at the whole population before deciding what they are.

Check the stem, if it is hollow it is a marsh orchid.

Rich

Interesting looking flower, bit odd looking for Southern Marsh, but probably even further out for any of the other marsh/spotted orchids. These plants can be a bit of a nightmare, they are so variable with the possibility of introgression from other species. Lone flowers are often a problem, I tend to look at the whole population before deciding what they are.

Check the stem, if it is hollow it is a marsh orchid.

Rich

Many thanks - very useful tip about the stem. We tend to assume that we will have the 'marsh' variant of almost anything e.g marsh ragwort as it's a bit damp around here!

I think you may be right that these are not pure as the one in the first picture has very obvious spotting to the leaves while it is growing only a about a foot from ones that have no visible spotting such as the one in the second photo. The depth of flower colour seems to vary quite a bit with the spotted ones being slightly lighter (though these two pictures don't really show that).

Attachments

• 2017-06-07-13h27m02-R.jpg
    2017-06-07-13h27m02-R.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 2017-06-07-13h40m32-R.jpg
    2017-06-07-13h40m32-R.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 166
I'd go with Northern Marsh-orchid, given the shape of the lip and the location - Morfa Dyffryn, I assume?

But, as you probably know, the Marsh orchids can be a nightmare to identify. Last year I was just down the coast from there at Ynyslas which has Northern Marsh, Northern Marsh var. cambrensis, Southern Marsh, Early Marsh and Narrow-leaved Marsh plus all the hybrids growing together. I've got loads of photos of plants that I still can't identify.

Rog

Thanks Rog - yep it was Dyffryn in the dunes between caravan site & the beach, assume this is a regular site for Nothern Marsh then? They all looked pretty similar in colour / shape there, sounds like a bit of a nightmare at Ynyslas though!

Thanks Rog - yep it was Dyffryn in the dunes between caravan site & the beach, assume this is a regular site for Nothern Marsh then? They all looked pretty similar in colour / shape there, sounds like a bit of a nightmare at Ynyslas though!

Yes, Dyffryn is good for Northern Marsh, Early Marsh and Marsh Helleborines.

Lesser Twayblade

Hi - finally getting round to my last English Orchid - the lesser twayblade -going up to Cumbria in 2 weeks - would really appreciate a ppm on directions on how to find them at either Cliburn Moss or other Cumbrian sites - I know from 2 days spent there looking for clts how tricky the site is and also know how small and elusive the lts are so would appreciate any help
Thanks P

CM - I have PMd you details of a good site just south of Kirkby Stephen. Other members have seen the plants there since I visited on 3 June 2014. i hope you are not too late. Dave

Attachments

• DSC_5470 (1600).jpg
    DSC_5470 (1600).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 245
BTOs at Hampshire sites stunning his year three groups of i assume vegetative clumps good 6 inches tall -much showier than the Caburn plants i saw few days before MO at Darland in their hundreds again and just coming into peak.

LSO coming into flower Folkestone -2 weeks off peak just one flower fully out , LO at Denge wood at their best now.

Question to Steve will the LSO up North last two more weeks when i plan to be there or should I go next week ?

David,
Thanks for the directions. I managed to catch one of the BTO clumps still in good condition, although past its best now.
Afterwards I went on to Yarnbury Castle, on the edge of Parsons Down, where BTO had been reported by Simon in 2015. I'm pleased to say, there were about 100 there this year, predominantly on the south side. The were all singles of the small form except for one double that had gone over. There is a track from the eastbound carriageway of the A303 up by the fort, where you can park. In among the many fragrants were about 8 chalk fragrant var albiflora, mainly on the the fort entrance earthworks in the SE corner.
Dave

Attachments

• DSC_9310 (1600).jpg
    DSC_9310 (1600).jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_9323.jpg
    DSC_9323.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC_9334 (1600).jpg
    DSC_9334 (1600).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 190
I'm not sure it is a good idea to post directions to plants on an open forum like this, there are still numpties out there who dig up orchids.

Rich M

Bee orchid var chlorantha

I am visiting Suffolk next week. Could someone please let me know if bee orchid var chlorantha still occur at the site near Norwich.

Many thanks

Gareth

For anyone travelling down the A34, there are some good Bee orchids on the eastern roundabout at the Tothill services - also stack of Common Spotteds.

Further South, at the M3 J10, there are some really good Bees on the central reservation of the A31.

There was 1 var Bulgarum in good nick near the A31-B3404 roundabout - along this lots of Pyramidals

many thanks - my understanding is that LTs tend to hang on to their flowers for a few weeks - so hope I will be OK in 2 weeks - may just need to spot them this year and come back and photograph next -

road side bee orchids doing well in Northants and pyramidal are just starting to open up

Bee orchids

I'm lucky enough to have a field of Bee orchids just down the road from the house; good numbers there this year, I counted 190, including two var badensis and one var belgarum, doing what Bees do and self pollinating.

Rich M

Attachments

• bad1.JPG
    bad1.JPG
    753.6 KB · Views: 196
  • bad2.JPG
    bad2.JPG
    814.8 KB · Views: 194
  • belgarum.JPG
    belgarum.JPG
    814.8 KB · Views: 206
Epipactis

The local helleborines are all starting to show, hopefully the slugs and/or drought won't get them this year. Plant on right is E. x schulzei.

Rich M

Attachments

• #1a.JPG
    #1a.JPG
    831.7 KB · Views: 193
  • #1.JPG
    #1.JPG
    876 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC07335_edited.jpg
    DSC07335_edited.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 165
  • #A1.JPG
    #A1.JPG
    924.1 KB · Views: 198
LT's

many thanks - my understanding is that LTs tend to hang on to their flowers for a few weeks - so hope I will be OK in 2 weeks - may just need to spot them this year and come back and photograph next -

road side bee orchids doing well in Northants and pyramidal are just starting to open up

I am going to Cumbria on Thursday to try and find some LT's (with my magnifying glass|=)| ) - if I find any I will post their condition.

Last edited:
A burnt orchid has been dug up on a N. Wilts site recently

People who dig up orchids from the wild make me very cross, which is why I have always been a bit secretive about sites. But I am also disappointed this year to find that a burnt orchid site in Derbyshire has been munched by sheep |:(||:(| , I couldn't find a single orchid, or much else apart from buttercups.

It looks like I, and a lot of other people, am likely to be in west Sussex tomorrow. If anyone can let me know whereabouts the musk orchids are at Noar Hill - or any other sites not too far from Church Norton - I'd be grateful. Thanks

Last year I posted a photo, suggesting that it was possibly Dactylorhiza purpurella cambrensis. I was in an opinion of one. The same plant had been seen in better condition the year before and considered D. x venusta.
Today, in an old limestone quarry in N.E.Wales, I saw up to 100 similar plants, all looking quite healthy. Both CSO and NMO grow in the same areas so x venusta is an obvious choice of ID. However not only do these plants essentially match the description for D. p. cambrensis (Harrap and others), but somehow they look too uniform to be part of a hybrid swarm. There were no intermediates between these and either the NMO or CSO there. The only problem is that cambrensis is said to grow only in coastal areas - but the same would have been said of Dune Helleborines a couple of decades ago.
I may visit another site later in the week where CSO and NMO get jiggy together and will choose some photos from there for comparison.

Attachments

• minq2017acamb1.jpg
    minq2017acamb1.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 186
  • minq2017acamb2.jpg
    minq2017acamb2.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 168
  • minq2017acamb3.jpg
    minq2017acamb3.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 187
  • minq2017acamb4.jpg
    minq2017acamb4.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 165
  • minq2017acamb5.jpg
    minq2017acamb5.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back