• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What sort of this squirrel? (1 Viewer)

maist

Dear friend,
I made the photo of this black squirrel in Krakow, Poland. Somebody knows this sort of squirrel? Didn't saw them in Europe yet

Attachments

• 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 103
Hi Maist

I moved your thread to the Mammals forum and subscribed you to it, so you should be able to find it easily.

Hi,

Dear friend,
I made the photo of this black squirrel in Krakow, Poland. Somebody knows this sort of squirrel? Didn't saw them in Europe yet

It might be an Eastern Grey Squirrel - an invasive species in Europe which seems to threaten the native Red Squirrel population.

Regards,

Henning

Red squirrel in Europe occurs in a number of color phases including blackish. This might be the most strongly black individual I have seen a photo of

Niels

Red Squirrel for my money, proportions look wrong for Eastern Grey Squirrel and the colour looks wrong (not black enough) for the black phase of the latter. Eastern Grey Squirrels were introduced to Italy where they are expanding. Lunacy.

John

Hi Andy,

I hadn't realised that it had been introduced in to mainland Europe, thought it was just the UK.

A couple of years ago, I saw what I suppose what was an Eastern Grey Squirrel in a park in Munich, and I was told that there was a small population of them locally.

I'm aware that there are very dark examples of the Red Squirrel, but I have no idea whether they would be few in between, or whether it's possible that closely related squirrels in a certain location would all be very dark.

I've read about a population in Italy, which is not that far from Munich ... but on the other hand, I've also read that the Eastern Grey Squirrel is not so well adapted to mountain habitats, and to reach Munich, the Italian squirrels would have to cross the Alps first.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Andy,

A couple of years ago, I saw what I suppose what was an Eastern Grey Squirrel in a park in Munich, and I was told that there was a small population of them locally.

I'm aware that there are very dark examples of the Red Squirrel, but I have no idea whether they would be few in between, or whether it's possible that closely related squirrels in a certain location would all be very dark.

I've read about a population in Italy, which is not that far from Munich ... but on the other hand, I've also read that the Eastern Grey Squirrel is not so well adapted to mountain habitats, and to reach Munich, the Italian squirrels would have to cross the Alps first.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Henning,
here in Russia, we often see blackish, Red Squirrels and I agree that this is what this is.

A

Why what? Why introduced - dunno; why lunacy - well, given the outcome here, why would you expect a different outcome in continental Europe i.e. eventual extinction of native Red Squirrel? Across a continent it will just take longer, that's all.

John

Yes, why as you say, given their less than successful record in the UK, would they release them in Europe, makes no sense?

Unless it was some kind of misguided government initiative, it's illegal to release a non native species isn't it, certainly in the UK?

A

It is Red Squirrel, black morph. This morph is locally common in Poland, especially in the south and mountains.

There is no Grey Squirrel in Poland.

best,

Black morph is typically the most common colour form in the spruce and fir forests of central and eastern Europe, since presumably the darker fur colour makes them far less conspicuous and better blend into the darker shade of denser coniferous forests. Red morphs would stand out and be more vulnerable to predation.

Black morph is typically the most common colour form in the spruce and fir forests of central and eastern Europe, since presumably the darker fur colour makes them far less conspicuous and better blend into the darker shade of denser coniferous forests. Red morphs would stand out and be more vulnerable to predation.

We sometimes see variants in Russia, we had one with red fur and black paws.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back