• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to see waxwings?? (1 Viewer)

doozer

Having just moved back to the UK I was wondering if there is anywhere good for waxwings near the Hertford area at the moment.

With the Leigh Valley having so many wonderful water ways why does it pick up so few rarities?

I haven't been to the area myself but I would recommend keeping an eye on the herts bird club as they are reporting waxwing fairly regularly around the county.

In terms of why so few rarities are reported in the area I would simply blame that on location as apposed to the habitat. Inland areas don't tend to have as many rarities or megas in comparison to coastal sites, particularly those on headlands. All the same I have heard that Lee Valley is excellent for Bittern, maybe not the rarity in mind but none the less absolutely stunning birds.

Good luck with finding some Waxwing:t:

Cheers,

Thank you for the reply and I will have a look at their site.

I was lucky enought to see the Bitterns a few days ago and yes they are amazing.
Thankyou

Attachments

• IMG_5561bf.jpg
    IMG_5561bf.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5673fb.jpg
    IMG_5673fb.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 116
Sadly a month too late quite a few in the hertford area in november but sadly now gone best to keep an eye on the herts bird club shows daily sightings in the herts area

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back