• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

this is what i see.
White chin AND cheek (apologies Tim for my previous post, you were quite correct) with a distinct moustache - peregrine. HOWEVER the back of the head is pale grey (not dark grey as in a peregrine) the uppers are rusty brown - there is no large brown blob obscuring the bird. It is a mutant peregrine kestrel cross, bred by the CIA to confuse birdwatchers worldwide and give us something to talk about.

Kestrel ?

Thank You all for the help.
If have to look at movie again. I can remenber a noise like "uerp". Ue like the french ue from word for street rue.
The bird starts to fly. I try to make snapshot from the movie. But snapshots will be unclear if something moves. Maybe some patters on the wings or the shape could help.
Size is difficult, in another bird id I was ask for a size of a bird and I said it is like a common bussard. But I saw a similar picture from a immature White-tailed Eagle but much nearer.

Best regards
Dieter

The brown area is not leaves its branches. The back drop of the sky reduces colour whereas the backdrop of the peregrine enhances the true colour of the branches.

give us any flight sillouette and we'll tell ya what it is!

after this heavy talk we are really eager to see them!

Last edited:
Klant said:
Since the tree seems to be all over the place, could the moustachial be a branch, I wonder?

I was thinking that... I was also thinking... American Kestrel. I saw this bird as a kestrel. I didn't/don't see it as a Peregrine. I can see its chubby... but I can't be certain. I'd love to see a less pixilated image!

Ok.. let's get analytical. I said I couldn't make it a Peregrine - and that was a gut thing. The moustache is too long and narrow.. and straight for Peregrine. Its why it looks like an American Ketsrel. Come to think of it - aren't American Kessies rather more compact and shorter-tailed than Europeans - or is that my dodgy memory. Bit of a long shot though! I need to see some images of this bird in flight.

Jane Turner said:
Ok.. let's get analytical. I said I couldn't make it a Peregrine - and that was a gut thing. The moustache is too long and narrow.. and straight for Peregrine. Its why it looks like an American Ketsrel. Come to think of it - aren't American Kessies rather more compact and shorter-tailed than Europeans - or is that my dodgy memory. Bit of a long shot though! I need to see some images of this bird in flight.

I personally think the picture is too poor a quality to assess the precise shape and size of the moustachial stripe

bolton birdman said:
I personally think the picture is too poor a quality to assess the precise shape and size of the moustachial stripe

Well if that is the case - why rule out Kessie on the moustache... ;) Don't read that as arsey btw. I'm just off to have a look through escaped falcons. I recall seeing a bird looking like this before... somewhere

bolton birdman said:

Nice understatement.

Personally, I'm not sure what this one is. But I do think Dieter deserves some kind of award for the series of troublesome ID pics he has managed to post over the last year or so.

Last edited:
Jane Turner said:
Well if that is the case - why rule out Kessie on the moustache... ;) Don't read that as arsey btw. I'm just off to have a look through escaped falcons. I recall seeing a bird looking like this before... somewhere

Well Jane you're not sure, like me and probally the rest, whether its a moustachial stripe or influenced to lesser or greater degree by a branch. So how can you possibly start analysing its shape and size?

Yes looks like it fits american kestrel well. Personally based on the photos i would record this as unidentified possible peregrine. Certainly could never conclude that this is a eurasian kestrel

Last edited:
bolton birdman said:
Well Jane you're not sure, like me and probally the rest, whether its a moustachial stripe or influenced to lesser or greater degree by a branch. So how can you possibly start analysing its shape and size?

I am sure it doesn't look like a Peregrine - bearing in mind that I am in the slightly privelleged postion of seeing Peregine several times every day (though not sat in trees). To have that much white in the face it would have to be a Barbary falcon. I can't see the power of a Peregrine in this bird either - though it does look chunky for a Kestrel. Its why I am invokling the escape theory. The game will of course be over when we get a flight pic. Blurry or not.

http://www.somersetbirder.fsnet.co.uk/peregrine.jpg

the white on the face is fine for a calidus Peregrine (bit more extensive than nominate) - this is the feature noted by KMO and the rarities comittees who've seen the pic

of course they could all be wrong.... wouldn't be the first time

Tim

Following this with much interest, and it occurs to me that a videograb from the moment of take off may show us the shape/colur of any branches, twigs, clumps of leaves or suchlike which may be obscuring the bird on the one image we've been provided with, even if it doesn't resolve the issue of identity directly. And for what it's worth I've remained in the Kestrel camp from the beginning, but with less certainty as the debate has progressed!

James

Tim Allwood said:
the white on the face is fine for a calidus Peregrine (bit more extensive than nominate) - this is the feature noted by KMO and the rarities comittees who've seen the pic

of course they could all be wrong.... wouldn't be the first time

Tim

Isn't calidus a big pale (especially underneath) bird though.. this is already looking small and lightweight for a Peregine as well as being very dark. I really think we need to see a flight pic and evidence for the existence or non-existence of leaves :)

Its also looking too short-winged for a Peregrine come to think of it.

ya could be right Doc...

I almost saw this as one of those magic eye jobs.... you look and look until suddenly it all makes sense

although I bet it turns out to be a bloody Kestrel now...ha ha ha.....

could be some red faces... who's will it be

and Londonbirder.... sort out the simple thrushes first mate! ;) (there's some ammo for you)

Tim

Well I hope we get a flight shot and or an empty tree asap. I still fancy dark morph southern race escaped American Kestrel and am confident that its going to be hard to prove me wrong!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back