• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1937 The Birds of America J.J.A. (1 Viewer)

falconxx

I was just looking through these illustrations and I'm always reminded they are amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 36
I know, some people love them, but I have never warmed up to them. So to each his/her own, I guess.

I must say I never have either. It's the contorted poses that bother me most. That said, I like them better in the big original versions than when shrunk to coffee-book size, and some are more to my taste than others (but certainly not the highly contorted heron and eagle given as examples here which I can't look at without wanting to twist my head around for a more natural view).

But as you say, to each his own, de gustibus non est disputandum. . ..

Last edited:
I didn't realized this was so unpopular. I'm just amazed someone could create such detailed representations. I find them very easy to view all of the small details. Maybe I've just had it for 20+ years so I've grown attached to this old school book.

I didn't realized this was so unpopular. I'm just amazed someone could create such detailed representations. I find them very easy to view all of the small details. Maybe I've just had it for 20+ years so I've grown attached to this old school book.

Actually, Audubon's artwork remains very popular. An exhibition not too many years ago of some of his plates at the local art museum here in Reno was very well attended and included some spectacular examples, many of which I liked very much. Please don't let the carpings of a couple of curmudgeons like Swissboy and myself persuade you otherwise.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back