• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

Thanks everyone for Chilterns advice - saw lady, monkey and hybrids at Hartslock + white helleborines.

Also saw military orchids, greater butterfly orchids just in flower, common spotted orchids and one of the best displays of fly orchids I've seen.

No sign of any club-tails though!

Platanthera ID

Anyone like to hazard an opinion on these, all photographed yesterday morning growing together on a short (c10 yard) stretch of roadside verge under bracken and bramble. Stature wise they all looked similar in the field, about 20 plants in total.

Rich M

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 160
  • #6.jpg
    #6.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 153
  • #8.jpg
    #8.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 171
  • #9.jpg
    #9.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 163
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 170
Military at their prime in the usual location in BBOWTland, as were the GBO and Fly. CSO just coming out. One Green Hairstreak.

The Monkeys are just going over and not in very high numbers at the usual location in BBOWTland; but Lady x Monkey hybrid swarm is looking excellent - a few of those are starting to go over, but most are prime. No flowering Bees yet though!

Anyone like to hazard an opinion on these, all photographed yesterday morning growing together on a short (c10 yard) stretch of roadside verge under bracken and bramble. Stature wise they all looked similar in the field, about 20 plants in total.

Rich M

Hi Rich

First two look like clear Greater, the last closest to Lesser. the two in between do look intermediate, which reading between the lines is what you were suggesting?

Question to Steve will the LSO up North last two more weeks when i plan to be there or should I go next week ?

Hi Doctor

The Gait Barrows plants are in fine form at present, but most plants only have one flower on them because they are quite young still. There are a few yet to flower, but I would still go this weekend rather than next.

Hi Rich

First two look like clear Greater, the last closest to Lesser. the two in between do look intermediate, which reading between the lines is what you were suggesting?

Hi Sean

as they were all growing together in a small area, and all looked identical unless you examined the flower closely, I was assuming they are all related.

The first plant (#1) and the last plant (#2) were growing with a foot or so of each other. The majority of the plants looked like #s 8 and 9, with Lesser like pollinia that are held almost parallel but wide apart!

Oh, and I'd been reading that article by Terry Swainbank in the April BSBI News and it is one of the locations where x hybrida has been recorded. As to whether any of these are actually Greater, or Lesser, or x hybrida or some sort of intermediate swarm, your guess is as good as mine. I just thought I'd see what other people thought and what they would put them down as.

Rich

I've seen a couple of Bee Orchids out (+ more in bud) in London- one residential site in Barnes + another in an industrial unit at Southall.

Hi Sean

as they were all growing together in a small area, and all looked identical unless you examined the flower closely, I was assuming they are all related.

The first plant (#1) and the last plant (#2) were growing with a foot or so of each other. The majority of the plants looked like #s 8 and 9, with Lesser like pollinia that are held almost parallel but wide apart!

Oh, and I'd been reading that article by Terry Swainbank in the April BSBI News and it is one of the locations where x hybrida has been recorded. As to whether any of these are actually Greater, or Lesser, or x hybrida or some sort of intermediate swarm, your guess is as good as mine. I just thought I'd see what other people thought and what they would put them down as.

Rich

Everyone a little timorous I am guessing!!

I'd agree that there appear to be hybrids, if they are determined using the same criterion used for the species themselves.

Hey all, am planning to see the Mils at Homefield tomorrow. Anyone confirm they are still in good shape?
Thanks
Rafe

I was there on Thursday, Rafe. There were plants in all stages. Some just past their best, some peaking, and some still had buds on them. The Flys were looking good as well.

Rog

Any opinions on this orchid? Initially I thought a SMO, but now I am wondering. It looked quite different from the others around.

Attachments

• DSCN6479-1600x900.jpg
    DSCN6479-1600x900.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 178
Rex Graham Reserve

We are on holiday in Suffolk within striking distance of the Rex Graham Reserve. It was the open day yesterday but we couldn't make it. Our friends are joining us tomorrow and we would like to go with them. Last time we were there (2014) there were Military Orchid plants growing outside the compound in another small chalk-pit. Does any one know whether this is still the case please.
Jeff Hodgson

Any opinions on this orchid? Initially I thought a SMO, but now I am wondering. It looked quite different from the others around.

Although rather an unusual lip patterning nothing there to rule out SMO and it doesn't better fit with anything else. However it would be good to know what the leaves looked like and what other plants were growing nearby.

Rich M

Thanks Rich,

I am a bit of a newbie, but from memory mainly what I thought were "normal" SMOs. I have attached the only other picture I made (although I doubt it will help).

Paul

Attachments

• DSCN6475-1200x675.jpg
    DSCN6475-1200x675.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 160
Hi

Has anyone any news on the chances of seeing a Red Helleborine in flower this year?

Cheers, Steve

Homefield Wood

A productive visit to Homefield Wood yesterday!
Military, Fly, Greater Butterfly, Common Spotted and Twayblade all close together. Plus a good showing of Chalkhill Blue's as a bonus!

Attachments

• orchids wedding hertfordshire wedding photographer rafe abrook photography-1000.jpg
    orchids wedding hertfordshire wedding photographer rafe abrook photography-1000.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 144
  • orchids wedding hertfordshire wedding photographer rafe abrook photography-1002.jpg
    orchids wedding hertfordshire wedding photographer rafe abrook photography-1002.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 157
  • orchids wedding hertfordshire wedding photographer rafe abrook photography-1003.jpg
    orchids wedding hertfordshire wedding photographer rafe abrook photography-1003.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 142
  • orchids wedding hertfordshire wedding photographer rafe abrook photography-1006.jpg
    orchids wedding hertfordshire wedding photographer rafe abrook photography-1006.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 153
  • orchids wedding hertfordshire wedding photographer rafe abrook photography-1001.jpg
    orchids wedding hertfordshire wedding photographer rafe abrook photography-1001.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 140
Everyone a little timorous I am guessing!!

I'd agree that there appear to be hybrids, if they are determined using the same criterion used for the species themselves.

Apparently there are intermediate populations on the continent, now separated out as a new species P. muelleri.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back