• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Shanghai Student (1 Viewer)

Thanks Mike! Yes, they are definitely very likable birds..pity they are so uncommon though- they're one of those birds that one can stare for a long time at without getting bored..

Hey Dong Bei, yeah, I've seen a few records reporting them in small ponds in urban parks. I'm not sure if its just a strange preference for that kind of habitat (secluded waterways within forested areas?) or if those are the only places in which they are readily noticeable..? (a bird like that would be pretty hard to find in a massive reedbed area, even if there was a good number of them)

My lifer was actually at an ornamental pond in the Botanical Gardens in Hangzhou, so they certainly aren't averse to urban ponds. And a few years back we had quite a good number of them in the roadside ditches on the approach roads to Poyang Hu. Not urban by any stretch, but certainly near civilization.

I think it might be that they are amenable to a broad range of habitats and they aren't as skulky as most crakes. Therefore, when they show up in an urban pond they get noticed.

That's my theory, and I'll be glad to revise it when I'm proven totally wrong 8-P

Last edited:
Those would be the ones! This would be another!

Attachments

• Brown Crake 63 Crop.JPG
    Brown Crake 63 Crop.JPG
    414.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Looks just like the little fella I saw in Century (albeit somewhat dustier :D )! Lovely little buggers, not as gangly as the Waterhens and the way they wag their lil' tails is adorable.

Dear fellow birders,

I am a dutch birder. On April 30th and May 1st I plan to go birdwatching after a scientific conference in a hotel at Dishui Lake, Shanghai. Do you have any advice for me? Or even better, would someone be willing to join me and show me around? Of course I am willing to pay for any expenses.
I am keen on seeing as many species as possible, like photographing and would be very happy to find a spoon-billed sandpiper, but I also read about beautiful pheasant species close to Shanghai.

I reckon Dishui Lake is a rather good location for birdwatching in some spare hours during the conference. Are there reed parrotbills close by?

Best regards and thanks for any reaction.

Peter Lindenburg, Leiden, the Netherlands, https://www.flickr.com/photos/peterlindenburg/

Dear fellow birders,

I am a dutch birder. On April 30th and May 1st I plan to go birdwatching after a scientific conference in a hotel at Dishui Lake, Shanghai. Do you have any advice for me? Or even better, would someone be willing to join me and show me around? Of course I am willing to pay for any expenses.
I am keen on seeing as many species as possible, like photographing and would be very happy to find a spoon-billed sandpiper, but I also read about beautiful pheasant species close to Shanghai.

I reckon Dishui Lake is a rather good location for birdwatching in some spare hours during the conference. Are there reed parrotbills close by?

Best regards and thanks for any reaction.

Peter Lindenburg, Leiden, the Netherlands, https://www.flickr.com/photos/peterlindenburg/

Hi Peter,

DiShui lake is man-made and the excess of concrete and steep sides doesn't make it a very good birding lake except for ducks/geese/coots. We usually just take a quick peak and move on to the better sites.

Far better is the coast which is very close by. However destruction of the habitat (absolutely massive reed beds interspersed by shallow pools and lakes, and of course some exposed coastline at low tide) by construction of what looks like will be even more industrial parks, has led to a decline in the quality of the birding. It is however still by far the best place to go in that area.

You will need a car to get out there though, the Holiday Inn on the coast (being the sole building on the whole 20-30kms of coastline road) and the 'starting point' and more especially you need motor transport to get around to the best locations once there. Check Google maps and follow DiShui Lake out to the coast - you'll see the Holiday Inn marked. Note that at weekends there are *lots* of tourists around the Holiday Inn area.

The Reed Parrotbills are still there but more difficult to find now that their habitat has been desecrated. Read through this thread over the past year (especially April - May), and others on Shanghai in this forum, to get a much better understanding of what you may see there.

Spoon-billed sandpiper sites in this region either don't exist or are very very well kept secrets ! There was a survey that saw them on Xiao Yang Shan (and probably also Chongming Island) but without a car and knowing the site your chances of seeing them <1%.

Good luck and if you need further advice please don't hesitate to post again.

Last edited:
Dear Frogfish,
thanks for your advice; I have book a trip with China Wildtours so I have good hopes of seeing a few birds! I am sorry to hear about the habitat loss in your area.
best regards Peter

Nanhui Dongtan 4.26.15

Japanese Quail (Coturnix japonica).

Common Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus torquatus).

Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata).

Northern Pintail (Anas acuta).

Feral Rock Dove (Columba livia).

Spotted Dove (Streptopelia chinensis).

Common Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus).

Common Coot (Fulica atra).

Oriental Pratincole (Glareola maldivarum).

Spotted Redshank (Tringa erythropus).

Common Redshank (Tringa totanus).

Common Greenshank (Tringa nebularia).

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola).

Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos).

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (Calidris acuminata).

Dunlin (Calidris alpina).

Broad-billed Sandpiper (Calidris falcinellus).

Red-necked Stint (Calidris ruficollis).

Long-toed Stint (Calidris subminuta).

Little Ringed Plover (Charadrius dubius).

Kentish Plover (Charadrius alexandrinus).

Lesser Sand Plover (Charadrius mongolus).

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus).

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis).

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta).

Great Egret (Casmerodius albus).

Intermediate Egret (Mesophoyx intermedia).

Cattle Egret (Bublcus ibis).

Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea).

Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax).

Long-tailed Shrike (Lanius schach).

Blue-and-white Flycatcher (Cyanoptila cyanomelana).

Crested Mynah (Acridotheres cristatellus).

Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica gutturalis).

Chinese Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis).

Collared Finchbill (Spizixos semitorques).

Plain Prinia (Prinia inornata).

Oriental Reed Warbler (Acrocephalis orientalis).

Eastern Crowned Warbler (Phylloscopus coronatus).

Vinous-throated Parrotbill (Paradoxornis webbianus).

Oriental Skylark (Alauda gulgula).

Japanese White-eye (Zosterops japonicus).

Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer domesticus).

Eastern Yellow Wagtail (Motacilla flava taivana).

(Motacilla flava macronyx).
(Motacilla flava simillima).
White Wagtail (Motacilla alba leucopsis).

Pechora Pipit (Anthus gustavi).

Pallas’s Reed Bunting (Emberiza pallasi).

A New Migration Season!

Here we go! As the rains come sweeping in, some the first wave of migrators are beginning to show up in Shanghai. The heavy rains throughout Shanghai today have brought around 7 Eastern Yellow Wagtail and 1 Little Ringed Plover onto the school's field today. Nothing terribly interesting, but the first time I've seen them this season, and a nice little flock to see. Not sure if they're happy with all this rain though...

For the first time in several months, I visited my old haunt at Nanhui, to finally pin down an old nemesis, plot out several new future migratory hotspots, and behold the beauty of this wetland whilst it was still standing- for the tall, empty glass husks of the city were beginning to slither closer, and there were at least two new roads through the preserve. I mean, what's the point of most of the stuff that they're building there right now? There are next to no residents in the neighbouring city, next to no tourists, and the large building hotel has sat mostly empty for as long as I've visited the wetland. What would be the point of renovating the wetland into a park (or whatever it is they're trying to build) if they can't even attract people to their (admittedly quite good-looking) city residential area?

But of course, I was supposed to talk about the birds. Right. Well, today actually went a lot better than expected. I went thinking maybe to find a new leaf warbler or something along those lines- nothing very interesting, just checking up on what this current season may have to offer. Of course, expectations exist to be exceeded, and I managed to score several species I hadn't seen in a long time, as well as gain some updates on the status of the habitat in the area.

Entering through the main road area, a quick scan to the left and right revealed little- I'd had Reed Parrotbill from this road in the past, but the only things moving in the reeds here were Long-tailed Shrikes. Rounding a curve and heading into the Holiday Inn parking lot, we were interrupted by a Chinese Bulbul flashing across the road, holding what appeared to be nesting material in its mouth. Maybe this 'delayed' summer has something to do with that? With bulbul gone, we rolled into the parking lot, where I did manage to pick up a Pale-legged Leaf Warbler, a brownish bird with a pale wing bar and a distinctive manner of flicking its tail and wings. Also in the parking lot were the local Long-tailed Shrikes (which I imagine must have good eating this time of year, with all the exhausted small passerines passing through their territory. A Spotted Dove fluttering around in the bushes, some Barn Swallows passing over, and a Brown Shrike were the only other things in the lot. An unusual-looking shrike with strange patterning briefly brought to mind Tiger Shrike, but it disappeared and was not refound. After a quick scan that brought in 2-3 more Pale-legged Leaf Warblers, we headed south, passing the old 'wader ponds' that were now filled with water, presumably for raising Greasyback Shrimp (Metapenaeus ensis), a significant commercial species in Shanghai. Arrival at the southern mudflats didn't bring in much- the tide was at its peak and the waders had largely scattered to shallow areas up the coast. Amongst those that remained were a Common Sandpiper, two Grey-tailed Tattlers, and several Little Egrets. An odd croak betrayed a landing Purple Heron, a bird I hadn't seen in Shanghai for quite some time. Out to sea, a dozen or so terns spiralled about in the air, and around 7 Black-tailed Gulls went powering past. A White Wagtail sauntered about on the rocks, and farther off, a flock of Whimbrel rested on the rocks, a flock of Common Greenshank made a noisy passby. A quick scan of the landward side before leaving revealed only another Long-tailed Shrike, which let forth its odd, jarring, half-shriek half-croak cry.

Heading back, my dad and I talked about the changes to this area since we had arrived here for the first time, some 5 years ago. To both of us, Nanhui had always had a strong degree of significance- it was the calm away from the storm, the quiet location apart of the bustling city life. It had also long been tradition for us to visit at least 2-3 times a year- thus, we had seen many of the changes that were now battering at this refuge's gates.

Passing the mangled remains of a roadkilled shrike, we passed over the watergate bridge and rounded Holiday Inn. The dark and empty walls of the adjacent building were puzzling- what was this, exactly? Some sort of recreational location? In any case, it had never been used in all our visits. Today, several Barn Swallows swooped low over it, sieving midges out of the air. Nearby, a strolling couple gave us an odd sort of look- perhaps wondering what on earth some people did with their spare time.

Pushing north, we flushed several Brown Shrikes from the seawall. They were passing through in some number, and appeared perfectly fine with staying on the concrete structure. As we watched, one pinned some sort of a flying insect to the baking cement, and swallowed it with great gusto- recharging after a long and exhausting flight. A brief spot to check the tideline- no, nothing -interrupted an otherwise uneventful drive to the area near the signage road (another 'interruption' was in the looming form of a massive building smack-dab in the middle of the reedbed. The pointlessness of such a construction project was simply stunning. You've already built roads, you've already built a big hotel, you've already built a damned city, and its all amounted to more or less nothing in the way of gaining anything in the area. Do you honestly think that if you keep building big buildings, things will all work out?). Within sight of the signage road, a quick scan of a large lake warranted a stop. A fishing net draped across the lake was covered with a liberal coating of terns- primarily Whiskered, but with a few White-winged thrown in for good measure. A Little Tern also made a brief passby- a diminutive little thing amongst its more hulking brethren. Also present on the net was a Common Kingfisher, a Black-crowned Night Heron, and one of the ubuquitous Long-tailed Shrike. A pair of Great Crested Grebe also made a brief apperance in the same lake, no longer decked out in their summer finery. A final look around revealed a flash of dark ginger in the grass, and a beautiful Siberian Weasel bounded off into the shrubbery.

Making one final sweep to check if I had missed anything (an appearance by a Plain Prinia was appreciated, but not much else came by), and my dad made a steep turn down the signage road. Passing a dog rolling about in the dust, and several rather confused-looking goats that appeared to have stranded themselves on a boat, we rolled onto the road that was now...surrounded virtually completely by water..? What on earth? No shorebird was going to be foraging in this water. The once-marsh once-farm once-pasture was now a deep lake. Asking my friends at the guard station, I was told that they had been farming shrimp in the area, and that in a month or so, some water would be drained, and that it may become quite suitable for ducks. The ranger I asked said this with a sort of almost nonchalant helplessness- their control over the area they protected was very far from guaranteed, and they could do nothing to prevent it from being turned into a commercial farm for marine invertebrates.

Discouraged by this, I thanked him, said goodbye, and headed west along the road. Everything was underwater- the old bridge that had once acted as a boardwalk was now torn apart, its planks floating in the water as some sort of barrier for the shrimp farms. Its empty shell seemed to me to represent the entirety of this area- a dilapidated and crumbling shadow of its former self.

As if as some brief consolence, a lovely little Common Kingfisher went streaking past, posing only a few meters away. Its plunges into the engorged lake cheered me up somewhat- at least somebody was doing well in the new circumstances. At the same time, several rather confused Little Egrets huddled together on a sign showed all to well that others were, unfortunately, not.

Now we were at the edge of the old reservoir. Having not been up here since several years ago, when I had seen the Oriental White Storks from its brim, I was curious to see what had become of it. Scrambling up to the rim, I startled something from the vegetation near the top. It was a dove, a small, stumpy one a bit too small to be Spotted. Could this be Red Collared? I ran after it, noting a flash of bright colouring(!) before it dropped into the cover of the other side of the rim.

Understandably, many of you may be curious why I would run after a somewhat common migrant in the summer heat. The unfortunate thing is that I had never turned up at the right time for Red Collared- always a week too late, or in the wrong area, or I just didn't see them. To my knowledge, they're not actually terribly uncommon- they're not as common as Spotted Doves, but they weren't exactly Pitta-rare. But still, they had become a sort of nemesis bird to me- one I had managed to miss numerous times, and which I very much wanted to finally put to rest.

So I ran after the dove. I leaped the rim's boundary and clambered down onto a strip of flat land, where the dove had probably landed. My movement flushed a Common Snipe from the marshy vegetable patches below, and it whistled away out of sight. Patiently, I walked along slowly, hoping that the dove would re-emerge somewhere. Along and along I walked, until I reached an especially soggy area at the end of the strip. The dove wasn't there. I'd either managed to scare it off without noticing it, or I'd gone off the completely wrong trail and hadn't notice the dove move off into the vegetation downhill. Either way, I wasn't going to find it.

Hot, irritated, and a bit tired, I sat back down into the air-conditioned coolness of the car, and we were out of the signage area. The only new bird on the way out was a Cattle Egret (there were actually several hundred along the shores of Dishui Lake on the way in, but this was my first one in the reserve itself), picking about diligently after the roving goats. A hot and hurried dash to the micro forests revealed a rather irritated and unfriendly photographer who didn't seem keen on sharing any information (though with the weather, I couldn't blame him). Regardless, I managed to find what I highly suspected was a Tiger Shrike- but managed to lose due to a bad position change. Other birds in the area included a beautiful female Yellow-rumped Flycatcher and a juvenile male Blue-and-white Flycatcher. Evidently the migrants were moving, but at least in that area, their numbers were not yet high.
A passover by a Gull-billed Tern interrupted a lull in bird activity, and the next few micro forests turned up little save a large Cuckoo, what may have been a Striated Heron flushed from the vicinity, and a passing flock of Vinous-throated Parrotbill. My dad hollering for me sent me running down to the car, where he described something that sounded a lot like an Oriole. Whatever it was, I never did manage to find it, however, and the sweltering heat and my forgetting to bring a hat were beginning to make my head spin, so I returned to the car.

We drove on silently for a while, flushing a few shrikes (Brown and Long-tailed) along the way, and watching the snapping flight of the Barn Swallows overhead. Somewhere ahead, I caught a glimpse of a kink-necked Great Egret circling low over a particular area, joined later by a tern, several Little Egrets, and a flock of Greenshanks that veered directly downwards. Intrigued, I walked over to the seawall and immediately, a massive flock of shorebirds rose into the air- I had evidently startled them by appearing at the top of the wall. Quickly, I scanned the flock, picking out a large number of Gull-billed Terns, some White-winged Blacks, and an assortment of smaller waders. As they settled back down, I noted more and more species- Greater and Lesser Sand Plovers, Kentish Plovers, Little Ringed Plovers , Black-tailed Godwits, Asian Dowitcher (and a possible Long-billed), Great Knot, Red Knot, Broad-billed Sandpiper, a Ruddy Turnstone off to the side, sifting through the debris washed up by the tide...and even then, the species count was not finished. By the time I'd scanned thoroughly through the flock, I'd picked up several other species, but with the heat beating down on me, I retreated to the car again, and we headed north, dodging the odd Shrike and Swallow.

By now we were almost out of Nanhui. Passing by a long stretch of young planted trees, I caught something flush from near the car and fly off across a channel. Several more followed it, and with a start, I realised that they were Red Collared Dove- finally! My dad stopped the car and I leapt off, following their departing brick-red backs as they pumped their way across the channel, disappearing from sight...

Trip List: 53 species.

Ring-necked Pheasant
Great Crested Grebe
Gray Heron
Little Egret
Great Egret
Cattle Egret
Black-crowned Night Heron
Common Moorhen (h)
Black-winged Stilt
Lesser Sand-plover
Greater Sand-plover
Kentish Plover
Little Ringed Plover
Terek Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Grey-tailed Tattler
Spotted Redshank
Common Greenshank
Common Redshank
Whimbrel
Eastern Black-tailed Godwit
Ruddy Turnstone
Great Knot
Red Knot
Broad-billed Sandpiper
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
Long-toed Stint
Red-necked Stint
Dunlin
Asian Dowitcher
Common Snipe
Little Tern
Whiskered Tern
White-winged Black Tern
Gull-billed Tern
Black-tailed Gull
Feral Rock Dove
Spotted Dove
Red Turtle Dove
Common Cuckoo
Common Kingfisher
Brown Shrike
Long-tailed Shrike
Barn Swallow
Chinese Bulbul
Pale-legged Leaf Warbler
Plain Prinia
Vinous-throated Parrotbill
Blue-and-white Flycatcher
Yellow-rumped Flycatcher
White Wagtail
Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Thanks Mike! And yes, its very sad to see the worsening process every time I visit Nanhui..very discouraging, more or less symbolising the costs of so-called 'progress' here.

Fantastic stuff, Larry. Especially Asian Dowitcher and the Knots. The Red-collared Doves are plenty near the Hangzhou Bay area. I have seen them in Nanhui before, one, max two. The Hangzhou Bay area(Luchaogang) has plenty of paddy fields and Sod farms and this being the reason for the Red-turtle Doves love this area. Perhaps, the transformation of Nanhui has started to attract them.

Thanks Dev! It was definitely great seeing those particular waders, as I'd only seen then at most once or twice before .Great Knot I knew was in season, but Red I wasn't expecting at all, and it was great seeing them. They're not as common as some of the other species, I've heard? I've certainly seen them reported far less on the Shanghai forum. I've never gone in that area before, so thanks! :) I might head there next summer to see if I can catch another glimpse of those guys. Did you see any other interesting birds in that area?

Good to know that the transformation of Nanhui may be at least benefitting some other species (I expect quail might show up in good numbers in winter there?)

Additionally, the waders seem to have a semblance of a system worked out. The shallow, very artificial canal to the land side of the seawall seems to have become a good resting place for them. I saw maybe a bit less than a hundred (hard to count as they were all stretched out) on the concrete shores of that canal, resting, sleeping and preening. The tide was coming in, but the harbour on the other side of the seawall had a large number of remaining mudflat to the sides, and I saw several waders and some terns feeding there. So it appears they rotate between the two as the tide raises and falls. Not sure how long that system can last, but at least its something for the time being.

Additionally, the number of Eastern Yellow Wagtails on the field has swelled to some 60-80 birds. Truly a breathtaking sight when they all rise up together. A smaller number of possibly migrating Eurasian Tree Sparrows shares the field with them.

Honey Buzzards Are In

On a recent trip to Nanhui, we were not 10 minutes out of my compound when my dad suddenly pointed upwards at around 7-8 raptors doing broad wheels overhead. As he quickly parked the car at the side of the road, I looked up and saw the raptors, now right above the car: broad wings like a buzzard, smallish head, rounded and barred tail. Quick running-through of possibilities, and Crested ('Oriental') Honey-buzzard ticked in. Travelling in the traditional 'kettle', or as its known in Chinese, 'Ying Zhu' (Hawk Pillar), the Buzzards slowly drifted away in the direction of the city centre...fantastic sighting to start off a birding trip, and honestly probably the highlight of that particular trip. o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back