• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hong Kong (1 Viewer)

tony.saw

We have a 4 day stop-over in HK in May on the back of a mainland China trip. We hope to visit Mai Po (permits via WWF Hong Kong?) and probably Kowloon Park. Is there anywhere else recommended at this time of year?
Also, any suggestions of a reasonable area to stay in as we are booking the hotel independently.
Thanks
Tony

Suggest Long Valley for a good range of farmland/freshwater species and a couple of days at Mai Po - waders are good at this time. See HKBWS website for details

Cheers
Mike

Apply your Mai Po overseas visitor permit from WWF HK at this link (scroll down)

http://www.wwf.org.hk/en/getinvolved/gomaipo/spetour/

If you stay in Tsim Sha Tsui (Kowloon) don't forget West Rail to Kam Sheung Road is only 20 minutes, taxi from there to Mai Po. Another 15-20 minutes.

Keep an eye on the tides, be out at the Mai Po boardwalk hides when the predicted tide is 1.8 metres or higher, 2.2m will cover the mud completely.

http://www.hko.gov.hk/tide/eTBTtide.htm

Tony,
We can't stress enough how important getting the right tides is to seeing the birds.
For May it looks like 2nd - 9th and 16-23rd days are good for a high enough tide to bring the birds close to the far hides (over border fence in Deep Bay) and then into the inside roosting ponds where you can get good looks for several hours at over 30 shorebirds species.
Check in at the Reception to pick up permit around 8.30am and then hotfoot it to the hides to catch the best action.
Other bird watching leave until the way out.
You'll be impressed.
Neil.

I am also due a short visit to HK in May. I am going on the HKBWS outing to Mai Po on 10 May. I however have Monday 11 May free and I want to visit another location. I have not been successful in finding a guide/ companion for the day.
Does anyone know of someone willing to accompany me, ie Tai Po Kau/Long Valley on 11 May?
Thanks
Eugene

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back