• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

Thursday evening,did not see a single common sandpiper at cl pits. Just singles of green sandpiper and Dunlin. A lone mandarin was on the river.

Thursday evening ,lesser whitethroat first bird seen after parking car. The tufted duck brood ,which I forgot to mention tuesday ,was down to 5 from 7 . Amazing that the ducklings can dive as well as well as the adults at such a young age. Redstarts along west shoreline hedge.

Early Sunday morning ,4 lesser whitethroat in hedges by footpath to grimley village .tufted duck brood back to 7 must of missed 2 the other day. 2 redshank on main pits first I,ve seen for a few weeks. Juvenile redstart east shore,drake pochard south end. 2 little grebe chicks hippo pool.
Storm damage continues ,the ash trees that took a pounding earlier in the year along the river have now been joined by the old oak covered in ivy along camp lane with a branch at the back falling and opening the centre of the tree to the elements .

Tuesday evening,black storm clouds all round,holt,1 green sandpiper. Camp lane a lone redshank along with 80+ lapwing east shore ,4 snipe were next to the causeway. The fishing fleet continues to grow from around 50 last week to 62 cormorants now. Interestingly if you look at these closely there are hardly any with the same plumage. Little grebes seem to have had a bumper year with adults feeding young in many locations around the pits.

Just a quick reminder for all Grimley birders that the West Midlands Autumn All-Day Birdwatch is taking place on SATURDAY 2ND SEPTEMBER. With a host of sites across the region taking part - includes Belvide, Sandwell Valley, Upton Warren, Middleton Lakes, Earslwood, Marsh Lane, Ladywalk, Salford Priors, Venus Pool etc - it promises to be another good day.

Fine visit this afternoon. Had a great view at last of two of the Grimley snipe from gate into onion field. Also redshank and kingfisher. Very elusive little brown job in hedgerows that is beyond my ID skills. Plain brown all over, maybe a warmer tone on flanks, with a sparrow-like cheep once a second as its call.

Also a chap there from 'Swan rescue' who was feeding whole loaves of bread to the north-pool swan flock who said he would eventually be ringing the cygnets in the main pool.

Sunday morning,glorious day,after a 2 week holiday in north Wales back to normal ,the pits are a bit smelly at the moment but if you look carefully are full of small fish of some sort. Nothing unusual ,2 common sands and a couple of egrets and later along the river a kingfisher. The best sighting however were 4 perhaps 5 spotted flycatcher along the hedgerow adjacent to grimley brook.

Had 72 species in 3 hours this morning-bodes well for the all dayer!
Highlights included Stonechat and Whinchat at Holt set-a-side, female Redstart at Church Farm Meadows and Yellow Wagtail at Wagon Wheel Pits.

Jared

Tuesday evening, started nice weather but soon went windy and cold so was quiet a surprise to see my first hobby at grimley this year . Sat in the tree which the egrets usually roost , then doing a high circuit around the top end of CL pits before flying off towards the river. A group of 6 shoveler were close to the east shore the most I've seen for some time.

Thursday evening camp lane pits 2 common sandpipers and 3 very vocal green sandpipers ,2 kingfishers and 11 roosting egrets . As the nights draw in even with 2 1/2 hours light very little activity once away from the edge of pit complex . Good birding for Saturday all Dayer unfortunately for me it's a work day.

Early Sunday morning went down before first light to try for owls no luck but hobby seen again at south end and a redstart west shore clp. Wood sandpiper viewed from north causeway ,east shore. Rain and wind stopped play at about 9.00am . Quick visit to sling pool 1 green sandpiper.

Grimley & Holt list for 2 September "all dayer" attached

Please find attached the combined results for all the sites that participated in the West Midlands All-Day Birdwatch on Saturday 2nd September.

Attachments

• Autumn All-Dayer 2017.xlsx
    14.9 KB · Views: 76
Sunday morning, finally seen my first grimley marsh tit of the year close to the grimley brook along with a female mandarin on a pool. Swallows and sand martins heading south in numbers.Camp lane pits house martins hawking insects,kingfisher north causeway. Several flocks of 30+ goldfinches feeding on thistle seeds along with a single juvenile/female stonechat east shore. The latter location a good place to see any seed eating birds. Saw some unusual behaviour in the garden a female bullfinch hovering like a humming bird plucking off honeysuckle berries, then landing to consume them .

Thursday night,3 Dunlin,redshank and several snipe west shore, south of north causeway. River 6 inches up on normal,muddied , did not seem to stop 3 kingfishers trying there luck .

Thursday evening, glorious in the sun, LITTLE STINT on hippo pool with a dunlin and snipe. Snipe numbers increasing a dozen maybe more. Very few hurindines with only swallows seen .

A great day yesterday at CLP. MB had 3 Black Tern, 8 Ringed Plover, Black-tailed Godwit, Little Stint and 3 Dunlin early afternoon, and RB found a Great White Egret later in the day. By the time I got there around 5.30 all that was left of the waders was the Little Stint and 2 Dunlin. There were no Black Tern but these had been replaced by a single Arctic Tern which departed around 6.00, whilst the GW Egret was present until around 6.10 when it headed North, possibly to roost in the Old Workings or Brick Pits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back