Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 13:18   #1
Tyne

Leucistic Jackdaw can any one confirm

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/c...psqlztl57a.jpg
Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 13:38   #2
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Probably yes, but the pic quality is so poor it's hard to be sure - looks like it was taken through a window, and a lot of the "leucism" may just be reflections in the glass. Where was it taken, please?
Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 17:29   #3
Tyne

Hi ,yes the picture was taking from my living room window ,it was a sunny day buti did see it later and it looked the same as in the pic but much clearer.
Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 21:14   #4
Cinereous

I don't thinks it's leucistic.. Leucistic is usually a paler to white colouration overall... This looks like a juv Jackdaw with bits of white flecks here and there... You see it a lot with Carrion Crows... They usually moult out to black when they next moult...
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 12:38   #5
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Here's a full on leucistic Jackdaw for you....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leucistic Jackdaw.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	636124  
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 12:45   #6
andyadcock

That is almost and in fact maybe, albino rather than leucistic, note leg and bill colour lacks pigment too. Not sure about irides, if they should change colour but the pupil, which isn't clear here maybe reddish?

Just to be clear, again, as this has been covered many times, even a single white feather is partial leucism, they don't have to be pale all over. Conversely, an all white bird isn't necessarily an albino unless even the bare part colours, including the eyes, lack pigmentation. This Jackdaw is an awkward one as they have grey eyes anyway.

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Sunday 13th August 2017 at 12:50.
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 17:04   #7
Cinereous

From what I remember the dictionary definition of albino is any animal with white pigmentation which deviates from it's natural colour... So an all white leucistic is still an albino as well an animal of dilute colour.. I once went to see an albino Cassowary expecting a pink-eyed white bird, but instead found it had a pale ginger body with pale not quite pink eyes..
Many people claim an albino must be pure white and pink-eyed, but that is not the case...
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 20:41   #8
Tyne

Many thanks for the replies, i seen him again tonight .I must try to get a better pic.
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 20:53   #9
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinereous View Post
From what I remember the dictionary definition of albino is any animal with white pigmentation which deviates from it's natural colour... So an all white leucistic is still an albino as well an animal of dilute colour.. I once went to see an albino Cassowary expecting a pink-eyed white bird, but instead found it had a pale ginger body with pale not quite pink eyes..
Many people claim an albino must be pure white and pink-eyed, but that is not the case...
I'd go back to the dictionary if I were you, they are white because they have NO pigmentation.
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 20:59   #10
dantheman
Bah humbug

Yes, albinos are white where fur or feathers are concerned and red or pink where bare parts are concerned as blood (red colour down to haemoglobin) show through = no pigment.

Leucistic is where partial pigment loss occurs, either in patches or dilution throughout. Various other terms apply in specific cases.

Or something like that ...
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 21:09   #11
Cinereous

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
I'd go back to the dictionary if I were you, they are white because they have NO pigmentation.
Thanks Andy... Your right.. Of course no pigmentation.. But as you know the lack of pigmentation results in a white animal.. I'm just pointing there are degrees of albinism.. They don't have to pure white pink-eyed to be an albino...
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 21:18   #12
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinereous View Post
Thanks Andy... Your right.. Of course no pigmentation.. But as you know the lack of pigmentation results in a white animal.. I'm just pointing there are degrees of albinism.. They don't have to pure white pink-eyed to be an albino...
They need to lack pigmentation everywhere, including the eyes which somehow manifests in the red colour as Dan explained. Without the pink eyed appearance, even a totally white bird is luecistic, not albinistic.

In an albino, even the bill and the legs, lack pigmentation just like the Jackdaw here, we just can't see quite enough of the eyes but I'd guess that it is an albino rather than leucistic.

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Sunday 13th August 2017 at 21:56.
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 21:37   #13
AlinoVegano

Quote:
They need to lack pigmentation everywhere, including the eyes which somehow manifests in the red colour. Without the pink eyed appearance, even a totally white bird is luecistic, not albinistic.

In an albino, even the bill and the legs, lack pigmentation just like the Jackdaw here, we just can't see quite enough of the eyes but I'd guess that it is an albino rather than leucistic.

A
Andy is right, I second that

Note that albinos are always all white for life because they are genetically unable to produce pigment, while leucistic are able to produce pigments; a dysfunction made the distribution of pigment erroneous, or reduce; the mistake, reduction or lack of pigment can be limited to a part of a feather, th the whole plumage or any intermediates. If he survives up to the next moult, it can have a different plumage, including a normal one. Never in albinos.

Last edited by AlinoVegano : Sunday 13th August 2017 at 21:45.
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 21:53   #14
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
They need to lack pigmentation everywhere, including the eyes which somehow manifests in the red colour. Without the pink eyed appearance, even a totally white bird is luecistic, not albinistic.

A
Think you were slightly more right before you edited your post ... very disappointed

Bizarrely, given the subject, this just popped up on twitter -

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/896774839087792128
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 21:55   #15
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Think you were slightly more right before you edited your post ... very disappointed

Bizarrely, given the subject, this just popped up on twitter -

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/896774839087792128
I misread your post, twice!

Re-fixed it for you........

A
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 22:02   #16
dantheman
Bah humbug

Lots of blood vessels in the back of the eye ...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: