• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who's a lucky boy then? ME! (1 Viewer)

I should be in Norfolk right now. Thank God I'm not!

We were meant to be driving overnight to Norfolk, but Sarah ended up getting stuck in Wiltshire and called to say she wouldn't make it back until after 2am. So Norfolk was out.

Instead of spending the night in by myself, I decided to go out and meet a few friends. A few shandys later in the local alehouse, and some bright spark had the idea to go into the City to continue. After a Monsoon's Chicken Tikka kebab, it was back to his house to finish off the beer that he had in his fridge and play cards all night. Great!

Great until I woke up this morning! OW! Everything hurt. OW! I was burning up so instead of being ill in bed I decided to be ill infront of BBC News 24.

Just as I sat back the silence was destroyed by the MEGA-ALERT on my Birdnet pager. OH NO! Not today. Not feeling like this. Please say it's not a tick. PLEASE! Oh no

***MEGA*** Lancs GREAT KNOT Wyre Estuary at Skippool Creek.

Oh no. I jumped up, ran into Sarah shouting at her to get up and get ready - quickly!

I ran into the bathroom to have a wash and during some vigorous teeth brushing I suddenly got too carried away and knocked the back of my throat with the toothbrush. Not feeling all that well, my mouth began to water and my tongue tightened and that good old feeling that I had on last weeks Scillonian came rushing back

BBBBLLLLEEEEUUURRRRGGGGGHHHHHH.

Better out than in!

As we drove north the pager continued to report positive news, but I was a bit worried that it said it was being seen in flight. I was even more worried that the tide was rising "rapidly"

Just as we pulled up at Skippool Creek the skies opened and started pouring it down. Nice!

Running down the road we traversed the precarious disused jetty to get to a small section of the crowd and there it was. Fantastic!!! I thought it was going to take some years to get that on my list after it buggered off so soon two weeks ago.

What a stunner. As big as nearby Redshank and looking nothing like a Knot at all. The bill was also much finer with a slight down curve. Nothing like a Red Knot and nothing like field guides depict it.

The tide was rising rapidly and we beckoned people arriving to run as it started stretching its neck. Then it flew - but even closer. Amazing views for about 5 mins before the cramped waders realised it was time to leave and headed off north at about 12.10pm.

No further sign by mid afternoon, but it's obviously still around, so get out there and get looking.

As for me, I'm going back to bed!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back