• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hew guy with zoom H2 and Sennheiser MKE 300 (1 Viewer)

pauly forte

Hello this is my first post and I am new to bird recording.

I'll just jump right in here. I have a zoom H2 and a Sennheiser MKE 300.
The zoom H2 is not very forgiving with external mics as I have read and know first hand.

As soon as I plug in any the MKE 300 there is s lot of noise even before I turn on the mic.

I did some tests to determine which setting are better. I found that the internal mics do very well even at picking up distant sounds. The MKE is really good at isolating the distant sounds when there is alot noise in the background.

My setup is not bad and will get me going.

I have a question about the Sennheiser ME67/ K6 set up or even th ME66.
If I were to invest in a good set up like the ME67/K6 I would also invest in a better recorder. I like the solid state systems and like the robust features of the Fostex FR2-LE.

With this combination would there be any noise in the recordings? I would hate to spend this much and be let down because I have High expecttations.

I guess I expected better results from the MKE300. But I think the zoom H@ is the weak link in this setup.

I like the ME67 since it would be the most directional in the shotgum mic market

Could someone post or den me some sound file that have not been processed? This way I can get an Idea of what a good set up sounds like before it is processed.

Also could someone point provide me the links so I can learn about sonograms and what they are and how to get started.

Thank you all for the info so far

FR2=LE is an excellent recorder and would match well with the ME series. You can read a review of the recorder on the WSRS website and listen to some good recordings there at the listen page.

For sonograms you can't really beat Cornell Raven which is free. The book A sound approach to birding is a good introduction to sonograms and birding, though as you are from the US you might prefer Don Kroodsma's book The Singing Life Of Birds which also describes birdsong and sonograms. However, you can easily learn all you need to know by getting a copy of Raven, some birdsong WAV files and playing around yourself

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back