• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mega-zoom Digital Camera? (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

I'm currently thinking of up grading my happy snappy digital camera with sommat more 'serious'. I don't really want to get into digi-scoping (my observation is that it distracts folk from birding!), but how far can a good zoom digital camera compensate for the lack of 'reach' offered by Digi-scoping?. However, my experience of watching a Pallas's Warbler yesterday at Dungeness down to c4 feet made me wish for something with a bit more 'ummph' than my x3 zoom Olympus (left at home of course!).

So I'd like a 4+ million pixel camera with an optical zoom of 10X -12x hopefully with the potential to stick a 2x converter on the front. A brief perusal suggests the following companies have something in this line (although I forget the exact designations): Olympus, Kodak & Panasonic

The Panasonic Lumix camera with 2m pixels got VG reviews so I'd guess the 4m version would be my ideal esp as it seems to have some sort of stabilisation system (how good?). However the suggested retail price in the USA $599 is already pretty steep for me & I guess we mugs in the Uk will pay an extra margin (20%?). Ideas? Experiences? John

Hi John

I believe Olympus do a model C-750 which is a 4mp,which has a 10x optical zoom (380mm).Alternatively a Nikon coolpix 4500 with a 3x converter lens which would give you 456mm.Hope this helps.
Regards Steve.

Hi John,

There are actually a few cameras available with a bit more reach. If you want something simple and easy to use then there is the recently launched Minolta Z1, though only 3.2 MP, but is receiving good reviews. It has a 10x optical zzom, the ability to take an additional converter and is fast in operation. Not a bad price either.

I was tempted to buy one myself, but I'm waiting for the launch and reviews of the new Panasonic DMC FZ10 which has 4 MP, a 12x optical and most importantly an Image Stabiliser and again can take a teleconverter and is supposed to be reasonably priced.

I like Olympus cameras and I have the C2100UZ at present. The C700 are a nice range, but I find them a little bit too small for my paws. The Panasonic is more of an SLR size.

There are several other brands/models models out there, but these are the ones that I narrowed it down too - without going the whole hog of a remortgage for a DSLR+lens.

John,

Though the reviews still have to be made, for what one is getting in the FZ 10, $599 (U.S.) is an EXTREMELY good price. (Though I definitely know if one does not have the money, then one just does not have the money).

I do not know if it matters to you (or you Ian), but the image sensor size is smaller than my Canon Pr090IS (according to preliminary estimates/reports), which means you will not be able to use any ISO above 50 with really good results.

Brian - I didn't understand any of your last paragraph, was it in English?
Ian, I'd considered the Dimage Z1 but felt the no of pixels wasn't a sufficient upgrade from my current camera to justify the expense,
John

I know what you mean. I'd much rather pefer a 5 or 6 mp upgrade, but that doesn't seem to be on the cards at the moment. There was a rumour that Olympus was bringing out a new mega zoom camera, but that rumour has now changed to them reducing the zoom length. I've not read anything new about it for a few weeks now.

On the premise that my Nikon CP4500 gives noticeable improvement over the 2 mp C2100UZ, I'm not too bothered about whether it's a 3 or 4 MP replacement. It's not just the extra mp. I find that with digital cameras, the technology/software has improved so much over the last couple of years, that extra mp's aren't the be all and end all of things.

As regards the smaller CCD in the FZ10, the demo shots I have seen online suggest that the ISO 100 ones are decent enough, though some people have found fault with some of them. Even shooting at ISO 50, you have only lost 1 f-stop and with the camera having a f2.8 throughout it's full range, even more so with the IS, I don't see this as a hinderance even in our dull climate.

Naturally I'll have to wait and read what the reviews say about the image quality when it's launched in the USA, but things are still looking good.

'Amateur Photographer' magazine recently tested (Oct 25th issue) Fuji S5000, Kodak DX6490 and Olympus C750 and found the Olympus as the best model for image-quality although they were not impressed with its 'compact'-size for a potentially serious camera.

Though it was the best, they still said that it wasn't that good at resolving finer detail.

All models were comparitively cheap for the specification on offer and it appears to me that in a price-sensitive market something's got to be compromised somewhere.

It's obviously vital to check test reports out to make sure that the potential in any model is realised. Panasonic have considerable experience in the electronics side of things and they often use Leica-designed lenses on their cameras so they have, potentially, a good combination available similar to Sony/Carl Zeiss.

Adey

Sorry, got dragged off the computer for an hour, there!

What I was going to add was similar to what IanF has alluded to: the number of megapixels is not that important after a certain level (unless you regularly want to do big enlargements) - the most important features only become apparent in use. Things like 'shutter-lag' (the time it takes from first depressing the shutter to the moment it actually fires) can make or break a camera from a useability point of view.

As for the image sensor size, I'm not sure whether it's wise to compare the possibilities of a new model against an 'older' model such as the Canon PRO 90IS - technology marches on! It's far better to compare it with a current model then choose if its spec. outways any disadvantages in other areas.

Whatever, I would suggest that the spec. of the Panasonic Fz10 is looking good and it's definitely worth waiting for the test reports on this model to come out before deciding on which model to get. I'm sure IanF will keep us informed of its imminent arrival!

try the olympus c750 uz, you wont be disappointed. I have used this camera for all my birding pics obviously a tripod is needed for the long range shots, but coupled with the remote that comes with the package it gives great quality even in bad lighting conditions.I have had great results and within 4 months of using this camera have won 2 competitions and in the final for a third....give it a trail!!

Sorry I did not check back on this John. Did you decide on a camera?

To better explain what I said, of course every camera, even a 35mm, has a sensor (though they are not all the same nor are they all created equal). This is what captures the image. The professional dslr's, as a whole, have larger sensors (none yet are as big as the 35mm film camera's). Well, the FZ10's sensor is actually smaller than the one in my camera. Without getting into too many technicalities, mine is a 2.6 MP camera. Well the FZ10 is a 4 MP camera, but the sensor is smaller so it actually packs more pixels into a smaller space. At least one of the reasons why Panasonic did this is because of the 12X zoom. However, you do the logic. Does it make sense, as far as a higher quality photo, to cram more MP into a smaller space? No, it does not. Not the images are inferior, but so far I have not read rave reviews for the photo quality from those who have experience with multiple cameras. This is also another reason why so many people are complaining of noise in the photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back