Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 17th June 2017, 06:20   #1
Spectreman

Analog tape bird recordings

Hi all.
Just joined this very interesting forum.
I have recently taken up a new hobby of recording bird & wildlife sounds.
However, since I am a big fan of analog reel to reel tape media, I am using, for now at least, a UHER Report Monitor 4000 portable tape deck.
The record & playback audio quality is terrific.
I have been using an AKG C1000S condensor mic with it, not too bad, but could do better as this mic has a fairly high internal noise level so is not ideal for very quiet sounds.
Very soon I will have a Rode NTG4+ shotgun mic to use also, this will be a bit better for my outdoor field recordings I think.
I have recordings of crows, currawongs, rainbow lorikeets, and some others, but not too many as yet. I really look forward to doing a lot more !

Has anyone else here used analog tape for recording bird calls ?

Cheers, Chris
Old Saturday 17th June 2017, 07:33   #2
DMW

Hi Chris

Analogue cassette tape recorders were the only game in town for most birders until relatively recently. I have a Sony TCM-5000 EV gathering dust on a shelf, and breathe a sigh of relief every time I look at it, that I no longer have to lug the equivalent of 2 house bricks around when I go on foreign birding trips!

Cheers
Duncan
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 04:14   #3
pshute

I'm interested to know how the quality compares with say a mid range digital recorder. Does even an expensive tape recorder have some tape hiss?
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 13:10   #4
Spectreman

Hi. The audio quality is very good at 7.5 IPS speed, the only speed I use anyway.
Sure there is some tape hiss, but very negligible, way down in level, and I use good Sennheiser headphones too.
The internal mic noise is more noticeable than the tape hiss. If you use a good sensitive & high level output mic, there is no problem with any tape hiss noise on the recordings.
Sorry, but I must say the Sony TCM-5000 sounds not so good, the freq response spec for it is terrible !
I have never been a fan of cassette tapes, they are not up to par with open reel quarter inch tape that uses either full track or half track recording.
Cheers, Chris
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: