Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 17th June 2017, 09:35   #1
DaveN
Derwent Valley Birder

My computer has wiped everything

Last night I rebooted my computer and when it came to life I had lost everything. It's as if it has gone back to factory settings. Luckily I have backed up most of my work on to a memory stick. However, there was still quite a bit of stuff I hadn't and I fear that has been lost now. I've tried system restore several times but that doesn't work. Any ideas on why it happened or how to fix it?? It's an old model Windows XP and I use Firefox if that helps. Cheers.

Derbyshire list 239-latest Manx Shearwater. Carsington Water list 196-latest Manx Shearwater. Wyver Lane list 153-latest Bar-tailed Godwit. Willington GP's list 137-latest Waxwing.

Last edited by DaveN : Saturday 17th June 2017 at 09:48.
Old Saturday 17th June 2017, 13:25   #2
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons

Security updates ended in April 2014 for Windows XP, Dave - that means you've been running the most targeted and hacked version of Windows without security patches for 3 years. You said "Firefox", so I have to assume that you've been online with your PC too - I'd be very surprised if your PC hasn't been compromised.

Before you do anything else, disconnect your Windows XP PC from the Internet - then download a copy of Avira Rescue System. Here's the important bit: Do Not Use Your Windows XP PC to download it... use a relative or friend's PC, then burn it to a CD.

Then boot your PC with the CD and let it do it's job. Oh, and hope that I've misunderstood your post, else you've probably lost important files for good. And whatever happens; never go online with that PC... disconnect it from the modem/router. Then either use that for everything except the Internet, or get a new version of Windows, or do what I did years ago... use Linux instead of Windows, it's free and you never need Antivirus software
Old Saturday 17th June 2017, 18:43   #3
andyadcock

Some computer repair shops can recover lost files.

A
Old Monday 19th June 2017, 15:59   #4
DaveN
Derwent Valley Birder

Thanks for the advice, chaps. To be honest I'm going to just run the pc into the ground as we are in the process of getting a new pc anyway. It was given to me by the local bird club to help with the bird notes etc so I knew it was an old pc when I got it and I'm not overly bothered what happens. The important files are backed up to a memory stick. Cheers.

Derbyshire list 239-latest Manx Shearwater. Carsington Water list 196-latest Manx Shearwater. Wyver Lane list 153-latest Bar-tailed Godwit. Willington GP's list 137-latest Waxwing.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: