• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (3 Viewers)

LOWER SUNDAY 6.30 pm
Standing in middle of road looking through tiny gap in hedge at the 4 white posts.....just about to go and a king landed on one.....had to change to man focus and as I got the post in view the King went....lol
It had gone to the rails around the overflow and same thing happened as it went to tree to the right.....dived and then on to the big tree stump then to the trees just before the reeds where it kept diving and hiding in the trees.....finally it went up into the tree on its own and got a dark shot.....phew....by now it was dark and raining.

Attachments

• kkk 222.jpg
    kkk 222.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 68
  • kkk.jpg
    kkk.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
UPPER..last evening 5.30 - 6.00 and around midday today very quiet. Also got soaked both times...lol

While trying to keep dry under a tree on dam all of a sudden a big bird was coming straight at me....our eyes met...it was the Juve Peregrine....it veered off and went behind and along the dam landing in one of the tallest trees.
About a minute later a RAVEN went right over him then a few Crows....but they turned and landed right beside him. After a bit he had a go at one and it moved but came back and in the end he chased it off along the dam towards me.The crow escaped and the Peregrine went to the east shore putting Crows and Gulls up ...then it headed to the North shore with almost everything after it....then I saw large flocks of Corvids put up as it headed west....Amazing episode of wildlife.....hopefully a few pics later.

Could have been my mystery Falcon from post 1010....

Looking at my pics it looks like its rung...Red with black on it......ANYONE KNOW WHERE IT WAS RUNG ?

Attachments

• PERI 4.jpg
    PERI 4.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 77
  • PERI 3.jpg
    PERI 3.jpg
    687.8 KB · Views: 77
  • PER1 1 A.jpg
    PER1 1 A.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 73
  • PERI 2 A.jpg
    PERI 2 A.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 88
  • RAVEN.jpg
    RAVEN.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
UPPER..last evening 5.30 - 6.00 and around midday today very quiet. Also got soaked both times...lol

While trying to keep dry under a tree on dam all of a sudden a big bird was coming straight at me....our eyes met...it was the Juve Peregrine....it veered off and went behind and along the dam landing in one of the tallest trees.
About a minute later a RAVEN went right over him then a few Crows....but they turned and landed right beside him. After a bit he had a go at one and it moved but came back and in the end he chased it off along the dam towards me.The crow escaped and the Peregrine went to the east shore putting Crows and Gulls up ...then it headed to the North shore with almost everything after it....then I saw large flocks of Corvids put up as it headed west....Amazing episode of wildlife.....hopefully a few pics later.

Could have been my mystery Falcon from post 1010....

Looking at my pics it looks like its rung...Red with black on it......ANYONE KNOW WHERE IT WAS RUNG ?

Great report Keith!

About 10 people around the shores of UPPER today....clearing away all the rubbish that's left now the water levels getting really low.

Yes I think they spend a lot of time in those trees......they seem to know we cant see then there.

Lower Bittell Reservoir. I heard the Kingfisher calling from near the posts in the reservoir but could not see it. Then two Buzzards were in the trees. As I walked back I took a closer look and could just see the Kingfisher perched in a tree over the res next to the posts. It saw me and moved behind leaves on the branches so I couldn't see it. I think that's four weeks in a row I've seen or heard it here. Great!

Lower causeway.....quick peak over the hedges....

Mill Shrub....
40+ Coot
20+ Moorhen
3 Heron
10 Mute Swan family

Lower...
3 Shoveler
3 Little Grebe....all in few yards...family ??

FRIDAY....UPPER......just a few BH Gulls, 5 Cananda Geese, 3 GC Grebe and 4 Mallard....probably due to the people netting the fish- not sure if this was their only day here but they managed to net a load of fish......weighed and recorded them before putting in tanks on the back of the 2 pick ups they had.
1000's of what one of the blokes said were Roach......some of which didnt make it as they jumped out when being transfered to the tanks.....the gulls would have had them later.......also a lot of large Bream and Pike.

Attachments

• Z 3.JPG
    Z 3.JPG
    887.6 KB · Views: 73
  • ZZ 2.JPG
    ZZ 2.JPG
    530.6 KB · Views: 74
  • ZZ 3.jpg
    ZZ 3.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 61
  • ZZ 4.JPG
    ZZ 4.JPG
    572 KB · Views: 64
  • ZZ 5.jpg
    ZZ 5.jpg
    721.1 KB · Views: 60
FRIDAY....MILL SHRUB.....around 5 Shoveler the only stand out.

Attachments

• Z.jpg
    Z.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Z 1.jpg
    Z 1.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Z 2.jpg
    Z 2.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Z 4.jpg
    Z 4.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 49
Today ....Mill Shrub.....

Mill Shrub today....popped my head over the hedge by the outfall and no King on the rails BUT there were loads of Coot just in this corner...as I started counting them a King fell ( dived ) out of the tree to the right and then back up into the tree.....couldnt locate it. Looked for about 5 mins then as I moved to get a different angle it flew off at 1st up to the far end but then did an about turn and came back into the trees alongside the road......tried all afternoon to re-locate it but to no avail.......I did see that it was a Female......not seen one here for ages.

The 8 "baby" Swans took off and did a fly around Lower ...back around to Mill Shrub..once around here then off to Upper.....thought they had landed but then came back over the far end and looked like they wanted to land but I could see it was not wise as they had run out of water.....3 got down right next to me by the 4 posts.....1 went to land and gave up...just got over the hedge.If a car had been passing it would have been hit. The other 4 were wise enough to not attempt to land and made it to Lower.
It was a spectacular 5 mins watching them......

Attachments

• K    N.jpg
    K N.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 59
  • M 1.jpg
    M 1.jpg
    768.7 KB · Views: 44
  • M 2.jpg
    M 2.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 60
  • M 3.jpg
    M 3.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 44
  • TH.jpg
    TH.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 64
Forgot to mention at Lower around 1pm....2 Buzzards...one much smaller than other ....were soaring over Mill Shrub and were being mobbed by 5 Crows and a whole flock of Jackdaws......in the end they split and most followed one which he managed to shake off....but the other couldn't get rid of a Crow and 3 Jackdaws.Finally he soared up then dropped like a stone onto the trees at the far end.....the Corvids seemed lost and gave up then...real good to witness all this.

An adult Hobby hunting House Martins over the paddocks between the Bittells - the bird was distant so has been enlarged somewhat - taken on the 27 Aug whilst birding with a mate...

Laurie:t:

Attachments

• A68613B7-64C9-46D1-9FF3-426D99F0A3E4.jpg
    A68613B7-64C9-46D1-9FF3-426D99F0A3E4.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 73
A single Male Teal on Mill Shrub around Midday....before the wind really got up....it now coming along the length of Lower really hard ..even normally quiet Mill Shrub is getting battered.

Earlier I had one Large Gull amongst the Black Heads. ..hope it's a Yellow Legged...have to ask you lot for I D.when I get a pic up.

1...Mystery Gull.....

2/3...The light was "brown " all morning...no idea why.

Attachments

• Canon 2017  OCT 16 A 067 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 OCT 16 A 067 A.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Canon 2017  OCT 16 A 062 a.jpg
    Canon 2017 OCT 16 A 062 a.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 62
  • Canon 2017  OCT 16 A 094.JPG
    Canon 2017 OCT 16 A 094.JPG
    463.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Earlier I had one Large Gull amongst the Black Heads. ..hope it's a Yellow Legged...have to ask you lot for I D.when I get a pic up.

1...Mystery Gull.....

2/3...The light was "brown " all morning...no idea why.[/QUOTE]

Looks good for a Y.L Gull

Sun with a good touch of the old Kaliharis (if thats how you spell it)

Nice pics Keith

Richard

1...Mystery Gull.....

2/3...The light was "brown " all morning...no idea why.

Looks good for a Y.L Gull

Sun with a good touch of the old Kaliharis (if thats how you spell it)

Nice pics Keith

Richard[/QUOTE]

Thanks Richard.....what should I have been looking for to I.D. it......is it the amount of grey ?

[/QUOTE]
Thanks Richard.....what should I have been looking for to I.D. it......is it the amount of grey ?[/QUOTE]

Besides mantle, quick ID Herring Gull grey with yellow legs (as apposed to Herring Gull Pinkish legs)
Richard

On that bird, yes, Leg colour on non-breeding YL’s can be very variable and mantle colour can appear more washed out and thus paler depending on lighting conditions but on that static individual not the case and relatively straightforward:t:

Laurie -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back