• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (1 Viewer)

Samsun - Turkey

03.04.2011 Some gulls from my area.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 34
Gulls birdwatching

Today Samsun - Turkey

1000+ Larus ridibundus , 100+ Larus michahellis , 4 Larus minutus , 7 Larus melanocephalus , 1 Larus fuscus .

What are you thinking about photo 2 and 5 ?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 47
hi tsingy,

the ill bird is very hard to ID. fact is i can't see any replaced scapulars which would lead towards a fuscus subsp., but a bird in such weak condition could also just not be strong enough to moult, so it could also be a weird michahellis.
except for the bird in pic 5 (appearing also in pic 4) which is a 1cy larus fuscus (baltic or heuglin's??) all other large gulls appear to be yellow-legged.

Turkey - Samsun .

First of all thanks all about your attention about my posts.

This photos taken today .I want to get your opinions about this gull.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
yeah but the first one's a clear cut herring gull also: look at the GCs, window and tail pattern...
another one from yesterday labelled kittiwake...http://waarneming.nl/fotonew/3/4096673.jpg
among the real cracks in holland there are tons of not so experienced people. usually in such large databases somebody looks for the right IDs?

Last edited:
Yes, I agree that the first bird looks better for Herring ;) ...and the last one looks better for Common:-O
This is a general problem with the net - there are (a lot of?) unreliable sources of information...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back