• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeders Back Up! (1 Viewer)

Beverlybaynes

Mod Squad
I took my feeders down in the late summer, finally relinquishing the front of my house and the house next door to the roaming cats that my then-neighbor insisted upon feeding from her front stoop. Two cats in particular viewed my feeders has a very handy dessert buffet. And I could not stand the thought of one of them taking one of my beautiful cardinals.

The neighbor finally moved a couple of months ago (and did NOT take the cats [which she had even taken to the vet and had spayed -- for which I will give her credit] with her), so I've debated putting the feeders back up for several weeks. About 4 weeks ago, I was even on my way to the shed in back where I store bird food, ready to re-hang, when I saw the cats still nearby.

My brother-in-law, not realizing that I'd taken my feeders down, gave me a 25lb back of black oil sunflower seed for Christmas, so that was the impetus to get me busy again.

So, yesterday, I cleaned out the feeders and got them rehung.

Lo and behold! Less than 24 hours later, I HAVE BIRDS!!! Juncos and house finches were picking around the tube feeders this morning when I looked out!

I went out to clear the snow off (we got about 1 1/2 inches overnight, after rain) the tray feeder, and to clear the walk. In the process, I knocked quite a bit of seed onto the top of the snow, but the juncos will get those, and probably the resident pack of squirrels.

The suet (four blocks worth) hasn't been touched yet, although I know there are Downys and Red-bellies around. I figure the activity of the juncos and finches will alert the other birds -- cardinals and peckers -- to the fact that there's food about in short order.

And to top it all off, I have heard the local Carolina Wren bubbling away! Hadn't heard that one in a couple of months!

We're under a winter storm warning :C for heavy snow and significant ice (oh yippee [yeah, right!]), and there's sleet occasionally blowing against the north window of the craft/junque room where I'm sitting. So it's time to make another cuppa and get a couple of those brownies (with Andes Mints melted over the top --- yummmmmm!!) and settle in to watch! :eat:

o:)

Sounds like you've got the evening sorted, Beverly.

Good news about the return of the birds... I home the winter weather doesn't do too much damage.

I suspect your wintery weather will only bring in more birds for you, Beverly. Maybe the 'peckers will finally hit the suet too.
Enjoy the view.... and the brownies!!

Hi Beverly,

You mentioned Cats,are they wild or did they belong to your neighbour?Maybe they could be taken to the nearest Animal sanctuary for re-homing?
Sounds like you've got a real garden full!Im sooo jealous!!

Take care,

Christine

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back