• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

River Rea, Wychall, late afternoon, I thought that's some nice Mallards and Moorhens, I wonder if they are keeping the Kingfisher company. Next minute the Kingfisher flew from it's hidden perch. Great!
Bourn Brook walkway, first I saw a Grey Wagtail and I thought the Kingfisher ought to try that bend of the brook, then next thing the Kingfisher took off from a perch over the brook bend. Great!

In the murky morning light both River Rea, Selly Park, Kingfisher were present. Then I saw the lower Bourn Brook walkway Kingfisher in the tree next to the big pipes. Great!

River Rea, Selly Park yesterday morning - the Kingfisher flew past me going up the river. (Update I also saw the Bullfinch again in the same area)
I had a look for a Kingfisher on the Small Heath stretch of the River Cole, Kingfisher Country Park but couldn't see one. There was one present the last two years. I then checked out the river as it went under the A45/Hay Mills roundabout and was surprised to find a Little Egret with a Heron.
Some local Kingfisher news from BTO, a Kingfisher was seen at Wythall, the previous BTO report was 2014, another at Kings Norton Park, I've checked here myself a few times, never seen one, the previous BTO report was 2010. Another at Valley Parkway, Bournville, could be on it's way to Woodbrook or could be the Manor Farm Park one.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I saw both the Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook Walkway this morning. There was one at the top end by the blue bridge and then down the bottom end by the pipes. But might have been the same one.
This afternoon saw the Kingfisher on the River Tame under Spaghetti Junction. Should have got a photo but it was gone too quick. Still great!

Wednesday 14th kingerfiser beside big pipes bourne brooke walkway. Also chiffchaff beside slap looking over the brooke next to the boulder with 'footprint inscription'. Kingfisher beside blue bridge and jay, bullfinch, great spotted woodpecker and siskins high up on walkway.

Wednesday 14th kingerfiser beside big pipes bourne brooke walkway. Also chiffchaff beside slap looking over the brooke next to the boulder with 'footprint inscription'. Kingfisher beside blue bridge and jay, bullfinch, great spotted woodpecker and siskins high up on walkway.
Nice one Ouzel! I was by the blue bridge today and said to myself, where is the Kingfisher? Next minute a Kingfisher came flying through the air, head height and did a banked turn in front of me. I saw all the colours. Wow I thought. Then another one chased after it, doing the same thing, and they headed off down the brook towards the old res. I walked away, double Wow! Then as I went past the newly cleared bank, there was a Kingfisher. Not sure if it was another. Great!
(On Twitter, Ian Whitehouse reported a Kingfisher at Edgbaston res. Great! I've seen one there before. I shall take a look)

Last edited:
Misty morning Kingfisher on the Rea.
Then I thought that blackbird is flying low on the Bourn Brook. Then it stopped on a perch and I saw the white chest. Then it started bobbing. A Dipper for the second year running. Great!

FANTASTIC!!!!! A DIPPER! Where exactly Zomerset?
Hi Ouzel. In the brook under the New Fosse Way bridge heading towards the tunnel under the railway/canal. It might have gone behind all the new university halls down the brook. The one last January I spotted from Harborne Lane bridge looking down the brook. I never imagined I would see another one on that brook after that one. I only saw that one once so don't think I will see today's again.

Then I thought that blackbird is flying low on the Bourn Brook. Then it stopped on a perch and I saw the white chest. Then it started bobbing. A Dipper for the second year running. Great!

Last years was in Harborne wasn't it?

Des.

Thanks for the info Zomerset..that's the same spot i had a settled view the first kingerfiser i saw on bourne brooke. Excellent spotted to you. Well done

Kingfisher by the pipes on the Bourn Brook. Then another the furthest up the Bourn Brook I have seen this year by the Swinford road footbridge. It was very vocal calling louder than the early morning bird song. Great!

Dipper record is fantastic maybe this one will stay. I saw a Kingfisher at Wythall Green Buisness Park Middle lane just down from Becketts Farm.

Brilliant capture......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back