• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sickly greenfinch and Chaffinchs (1 Viewer)

ColD

Save the Egyptian Vulture in Greece
I visited a UK nature reserve yesterday and found near their feeders several, sickly looking birds.
There were two greenfinch that were puffed up and the eyes looked like they were closing the breathing was not what i would call normal, one greenfinch was bubbly at the bill. Both the greenfinch when sat would incline their heads to the right as if they might be going to sleep and then slowly raise the head again after some minutes. They also appeared to be coughing or choking as they breathed.

The Chaffinch sat for some time mabye 3-5 minutes with a seed in its bill before it tried to fly off whereupon it fluttered off the table and fell to the floor , it managed to fly into a shrub but then fell through the foliage to the floor.

All three birds then remained on the floor.

I have reported to the wardens and the trust for the reserve.

What I would like to know is, is this a virus. I believe there was one a few years ago with finches. Was the feed off or had someone poisoned the birds

Thanks
ColD

Attachments

• chaffin chIMG_8736.jpg
    chaffin chIMG_8736.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 81
  • greenfinchIMG_8732.jpg
    greenfinchIMG_8732.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 118
Oh !! Thanks Phil for the quick reply. does not look too good I assume the local organisation knows what to do. Good numbers of finches feed there. I have filled in the report to the linked site

Many thanks
ColD

Glad to read you reported the issue, ColD. Sadly, I have seen a few NRs with feeders that could do with a real good wash! Whilst appreciating that often there is no running water available etc, and it may be volunteers that take care of day to day running of the site, it is on reserves that the public expect the best practices to be followed and an example to be set.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back