• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Pyrenees, Catalonia, Spain - an overview (1 Viewer)

Stephen C

I quite understand why everyone wants to visit the Pyrenees when they come to Spain to watch birds, as there certainly is an air of magic about the place.

It's not just because of the calm tranquility or the clean crispness of the air, but somehow everything looks different. The lines and colours of even a humble Linnet seem to jump out and smack you so hard in the face that you'd swear you'd discovered a new species.

But that's not all. Like a true magician the Pyrenees seem to know exactly what the audience want and deliberately take its time to cast its spell.

Of course its no mystery that everyone's here for the Wallcreeper, Black Woodpecker and Lammergeier but no one complains as their attention is distracted by the treetop acrobatic display put on by Firecrest, Crossbill and Crested Tit.

Some birds seemingly try to make up for a lack of such ability by at least dressing for the occasion and the startling pink of the proud Water Pipit certainly succeeds. The Ring Ouzel though seems less happy as it flitters about from bush to bush in an apparent huff, perhaps because the Dipper has arrived wearing the same coat!

Of course some prefer not to show off at all and the Alpine Accentor, Rock Thrush and Rock Bunting merely industriously go about their business like a busy backstage crew.

But perhaps this is the ultimate in sleight of hand as it was whilst watching just such a bird - the stunningly beautiful and under-appreciated Citril Finch - that the master magician finally played its card on me and, suddenly appearing out of nowhere, an armada of Griffon Vultures sailed majestically into my line of sight not twenty metres in the valley below me. And at its head, my very first Lammergeier.

N.B. I have also posted 'overview' reports on these other places in Catalunya, Spain:
The Ebro Delta
The Cap de Creus
The Llobregat Delta
Garraf Massif
Steppes of Lleida

see below for direct links

Last edited:
Rob Smallwood said:
Stephen,

If I had the time and money you would have sold it to me - sounds fantastic (not to mention 5 "lifers" !!

One day...

Rob, too kind. When I get to the point of offering freebies you're first. Frecklezgecko, you too just to reward your cynicism!

Hi Stephen

I visited the Catalonian Pyrenees with my wife two years ago and had a superb time. We saw Lammergeier, Wallcreeper, citril Finch, Alpine Chough and Rock Thrush to name a few. I am so glad you are trying bring this excellent birding region to peoples attention. Keep up the good work. :t:

Many thanks

Vipers said:
Hi Stephen

I visited the Catalonian Pyrenees with my wife two years ago and had a superb time. I am so glad you are trying bring this excellent birding region to peoples attention. Keep up the good work. :t:

I love this place! And I don't understand why everyone automically heads for the south. Still, always did like a challenge.

Stephen Christopher
www.catalanbirdtours.com (from 12.1.06)

Stephen C said:
I love this place! And I don't understand why everyone automically heads for the south. Still, always did like a challenge.

Stephen Christopher

Hello Stephen
I truly wish you well on your new venture and you are in a very good area of Spain. I have only been around that quarter a few times but it has never failed to deliver the goods, especially the Ebro, which I think is very under-valued. You are right in that you are competing with more recognised areas down south but I am sure the Spanish north east coast has it's place right up there.
Cheers Jules

Jules Sykes said:
Hello Stephen
I truly wish you well on your new venture and you are in a very good area of Spain. I have only been around that quarter a few times but it has never failed to deliver the goods, especially the Ebro, which I think is very under-valued. You are right in that you are competing with more recognised areas down south but I am sure the Spanish north east coast has it's place right up there.
Cheers Jules

Thank you. Strangely enough I'd just read an old trip report praising your company so there's a coincidence. And just for the record, I'll say it again, 'Catalunya has a greater variety of wildlife than anywhere on the Iberian Peninsular, with 95% of Iberia's and 50% of the Palearctic's recorded bird species'. I'm sure we'll get the message through.

Here's to our paths crossing sooner rather than later.

Best wishes

Stephen Christopher

Jules Sykes said:
Hello Stephen
Cheers Jules

Hi Jules and Christopher.

Looks like it's me against you two bl**dy northerners. Seriously though, good luck to you guys for the new birding season. Keep promoting the best of what we have to offer here in Spain to birders from all over the world.

Oos a northerna?

John Butler said:
Hi Jules and Christopher.

Looks like it's me against you two bl**dy northerners.

For a second there I thought, 'How does he know I'm from the north of England?' Duh!

Jules Sykes said:
You and me both Stephen!!!
Good luck to you too John, not that you need it. :t:
How's the Italian coming on!!!

Fantastico!. You must have been reading the trip reports. Ain't you got nothing better to do?

I see you're visiting Tarifa in September. I'll be there at the same time with a group of 12 or so American birders. Will you be staying at the Meson de Sancho? We are.

Tarifa

John Butler said:
I see you're visiting Tarifa in September. I'll be there at the same time with a group of 12 or so American birders. Will you be staying at the Meson de Sancho? We are.

I'll be there too probably, on El Programa Migres. This sounds like a meeting to me - Trafico, 6am, September 20. See you there!

Stephen Christopher

Stephen C said:
I'll be there too probably, on El Programa Migres. This sounds like a meeting to me - Trafico, 6am, September 20. See you there
Stephen Christopher

I'll be travelling down from Doñana with my group that day. I expect to arrive at about 6pm in the evening at the Cazalla viewpoint, but will be visiting Trafico, La Peña, Algarrobo and Santuario in the following days.

meet

John Butler said:
I'll be travelling down from Doñana with my group that day. I expect to arrive at about 6pm in the evening at the Cazalla viewpoint, but will be visiting Trafico, La Peña, Algarrobo and Santuario in the following days.
Sorry john I just picked a time and date out of the air as a joke...

In our last three posts you have discovered that

1. I can't write without causing offense
2. I can't understand what people say and
3. I'm not funny

...but definitely would like to meet up. I doubt if any of us will have the time for an arranged meeting but I'm sure we'll clash bins at Cazalla or somewhere (I only work this, Tráfico and Algorrobo - if its still there after the proposed Golf Course, is that still happening?)

All the best

Stephen

Free tour

Jos Stratford said:
PS which of you kind souls is offering me a freebie tour? :)

If you're around over the two weeks I'll (probably) be there, I'll happily let you know where I'll be and point out a few things but I don't get enough time off to go out on tours as I have to stare at the sky for hours on end.

But, compared to John, I really don't know the area so I recommend you check out his website and consider employing his services - though it sounds like he's already booked.

All the best

Stephen C said:
If you're around over the two weeks I'll (probably) be there, I'll happily let you know where I'll be and point out a few things but I don't get enough time off to go out on tours as I have to stare at the sky for hours on end.

But, compared to John, I really don't know the area so I recommend you check out his website and consider employing his services - though it sounds like he's already booked.

All the best

T'was a joke kind Sir, but ta all the same. Not really a guide type, though have to say i've been half tempted by Jules's set up. Not sure Spain has more than one or two new birds for me, not that that matters, but seems he's got a nice place there for a darn good weekend's general birding.

In our last three posts you have discovered that

1. I can't write without causing offense
2. I can't understand what people say and
3. I'm not funny

Wow, you will make the ideal guide ;)

I doubt if any of us will have the time for an arranged meeting but I'm sure we'll clash bins at Cazalla or somewhere (I only work this, Tráfico and Algorrobo - if its still there after the proposed Golf Course, is that still happening?)

Could always meet for a bevvy or three, also Stephen have you been voling for EPM for long?. As there is another BF member Jaime (aka Jamspangle) that has been doing the same thing and have met up with for the last two years.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back