• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Midges and how to avoid them attacking you (1 Viewer)

harry eales

Ancient Entomologist
For most of my life working outdoors, Midges have proved to be an occupational hazzard that I have either had to learn to live with, or avoid.

Unfortunately, my work in insect surveying has taken me to places where Midges are often legion. For the last ten years I have worked continuously during the spring, summer, and autumn months in large forests and the uplands of Northumberland and Durham.

Midges do not just occur there, it is the cradle of their creation and there are bloody Billions of them. Over the last decade I have tried just about every remedy known to man to keep them off me. Nets over the head and shoulders don't stop them, spray on, roll on, or other remedies simply don't work.

Last week I heard of a new remedy, and this one works I've tried it for several days in succession and haven't been bitten once.

What is it? You won't believe it, but its a ladies cosmetic lotion. In short it's Avon's 'Skin so Soft'.

I didn't believe it at first, when I heard about it. However, all the people working in the Kielder Forest, and Kielder Reservoir area are now using it, even the local caravan site owner is selling it, (He's sold 900 bottles of it so far this year). It cost me £3.00 for a 250mle bottle, so it will last me for some weeks.

Simply smooth it on exposed areas of skin and that's it. Simple. I don't know if any other manufacturers lotion will work, so stick to this brand if you try it.

I doubt it will do me any good in other directions, I have a face more craggy than the north face of the Eiger, but as long as it keeps midges away, I'll use it.

The next time the Avon Lady calls, you have a good reason for not pretending your 'out', lol.

Give it a try, I think you'll be pleased with the result. If an Avon Director reads this, I wouldn't mind some commission on the increase in sales due to this post. ;)

Just one word of caution fella's, wash it off before you go to the Pub, you may raise a few eyebrows and get some unwanted attention if you don't..... PMSL.

Harry

Thanks Harry . . . I'll certainly give it a go. After all, a £3 outlay is nothing compared to some expensive and so-called 'guaranteed' products that are on the market today (must make sure I hide it from the wife, though, I don't want her getting the wrong idea or, for that matter, nicking it!).

According to Avon's web site:
Unlike self tan, this is a moisturiser that gradually builds natural looking colour. A skin softening and nourishing body lotion with natural light reflecting pigments to illuminate skin.
I was going to say "Harry, because you're worth it" but I think that's another lot!
Ken

I believe that a lot of Scottish Ghillies, Stalkers and even sas use Avons Skin so Soft against the midges.

harry eales said:
Midges

Last week I heard of a new remedy, and this one works I've tried it for several days in succession and haven't been bitten once.

What is it? You won't believe it, but its a ladies cosmetic lotion. In short it's Avon's 'Skin so Soft'.

Give it a try, I think you'll be pleased with the result. If an Avon Director reads this, I wouldn't mind some commission on the increase in sales due to this post. ;)

Just one word of caution fella's, wash it off before you go to the Pub, you may raise a few eyebrows and get some unwanted attention if you don't..... PMSL.

Harry
Anybody tried it against mozzies?.

alan_rymer said:
Anybody tried it against mozzies?.
Here's a review off the web:

Avon 'Skin So Soft' range of products have received good press from walkers and field workers in both the States and the UK. First reports in both countries have said that they are highly effective at keeping the insect population from biting the wearer. The University of Arizona has discovered four compounds in Avon skin care and beauty range that repel mosquitoes, the strongest one being coumarone, which is found in many flowering plants. Avon brought out a dedicated insect repellent based on their skin care products called 'Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus IR3535 Insect Repellent'. Recently however, mixed messages have been coming from tests of Avon products, such as a report in 'The New England Journal of Medicine' that said it was only effective as a repellent for about 23 minutes ( against mosquitoes ). Avon refutes the claim because the reported tests were not done in the field. The study was a controlled test using hungry Lab reared mosquitoes. Volunteers inserted their arm into the mosquito’s cage and the time till the first bite was measured. The British Army has been conducting field trials on Avon's repellent effectiveness against midges - no results published as yet and I've received no replies from the Ministry of Defence to my emails requesting the results. Many walkers think highly of Avon's products but there are just as many, if not more, who claim it is ineffective as a repellent. The negative view seems to be gaining strength and there certainly seem to be more negative views posted on the net than positive ones.

As Pluvius suggests, stalkers, shepherds, etc. in the highlands have been using it for several years. And I'd refute Harry's claim that Northumberland is the cradle of the midge's creation - surely that's the west coast of Scotland?? : )

saluki

My wife has not long returned from a week walking in the west coast of scotland. At almost all of the B & B's she visited they had some sort of midge machine in the gardens. It attracts the female(the one that bites)-to quote one of the product manufacturers "The machines attract female midges - the ones which bite - by mimicking a person's breath through the conversion of propane to carbon dioxide and then suck them into a bag inside the machine"-the locals swore that if you use the machine for a while then sitting outside in the evening is possible on warm or calm summer evenings for several days until new females repopulate the area-something previously only for the certifiable-unfortunately my good lady did not have the opportunity to put theory into practice as it hosed down the whole week, just prior to the last 2-3 good weeks of weather. Anyone else know about this?

When I stayed in Lochcarron last August they had one of these machines in the garden. Unfortunately it wasn't operating. I used a lamp inside the sitting room of the house where we were staying (self-catering) to attract moths to the window (quite successfully). It also attracted masses of midges - so I could see what all the fuss was about. Having said that, when I nipped out to collect the moths I didn't get too many bites.
Ken

Hi Harry

When you gave us some of that lotion to try it did not work, in fact we have never suffered so badly with bites ever, we cursed you all night for that
Keiths face had swollen so much he was like a space hopper. (lol)
I'm on a course of Zirtek allergy tablets at the moment just to take the swelling down on my legs
We did get one specimen of the Saxon (the target species)

Tom

And I'd refute Harry's claim that Northumberland is the cradle of the midge's creation - surely that's the west coast of Scotland?? : )

saluki[/QUOTE]

Hi Saluki,

I would agree with Harry on this one

Kielder forest is an absolute nightmare for midges & mosquitoes, you should try moth trapping there, it will sharp change your mind

Tom

Last edited:
tom tams said:
Hi Harry

When you gave us some of that lotion to try it did not work, in fact we have never suffered so badly with bites ever, we cursed you all night for that
Keiths face had swollen so much he was like a space hopper. (lol)
I'm on a course of Zirtek allergy tablets at the moment just to take the swelling down on my legs
We did get one specimen of the Saxon (the target species)

Tom

Tom, I didn't see Keith put any of the cream on his face. Maybe it just works for some people and not for others. Glad you got your Saxon. :t:

resMole, Smoking does not deter Midges or Mossies, I've smoked 40-60 a day for over 40 years, it didn't stop them biting me in the past.

Ken, Of course I'm worth it, I get paid a fortune just for turning up at Haloween parties and scaring the guests, often before I dress up for the part.
lol.

Harry

Avon Sss Bath Oil

Hi Harry and greetings from Australia
I have been using Avon skin so soft bath oil for several years now to guard against the mosies and the midges and yes it is common knowledge here in Australia that it works well. Avon have also bought out a product over here called bug guard and that is a sun screen and also has skin so soft in the ingredients to guard against insects. oh and it keeps the skin nice and soft as well.

Any idea though of how to keep the midges out of the house at night?

regards
kimba1812

harry eales said:
For most of my life working outdoors, Midges have proved to be an occupational hazzard that I have either had to learn to live with, or avoid.

Unfortunately, my work in insect surveying has taken me to places where Midges are often legion. For the last ten years I have worked continuously during the spring, summer, and autumn months in large forests and the uplands of Northumberland and Durham.

Midges do not just occur there, it is the cradle of their creation and there are bloody Billions of them. Over the last decade I have tried just about every remedy known to man to keep them off me. Nets over the head and shoulders don't stop them, spray on, roll on, or other remedies simply don't work.

I didn't believe it at first, when I heard about it. However, all the people working in the Kielder Forest, and Kielder Reservoir area are now using it, even the local caravan site owner is selling it, (He's sold 900 bottles of it so far this year). It cost me £3.00 for a 250mle bottle, so it will last me for some weeks.

Simply smooth it on exposed areas of skin and that's it. Simple. I don't know if any other manufacturers lotion will work, so stick to this brand if you try it.

I doubt it will do me any good in other directions, I have a face more craggy than the north face of the Eiger, but as long as it keeps midges away, I'll use it.

The next time the Avon Lady calls, you have a good reason for not pretending your 'out', lol.

Harry

kimba1812 said:
I have been using Avon skin so soft bath oil for several years now to guard against the mosies and the midges and yes it is common knowledge here in Australia that it works well. Avon have also bought out a product over here called bug guard and that is a sun screen and also has skin so soft in the ingredients to guard against insects. oh and it keeps the skin nice and soft as well.

regards
kimba1812
Welcome to Birdforum.

kimba1812 said:

regards
kimba1812

Hello kimba, Seasonal Commiserations. lol.

Sorry I haven't a suggestion for keeping them out of the house, they're so small an insect I don't think it is possible. However, one of the small electric 'Bug Zappers' seem to prove effective in disposing of those which do penetrate into your home. The Midges are attracted to the ultraviolet light and once they hit the electrified screen they're dead. It also works well on 'Mossies' and other nocturnal insect pests.

They sell a lot of them on eBay if you don't have a local outlet who stock them. Good luck.

Harry

Hello Harry,

I have to agree with Avon Skin So Soft and the fact that it does indeed work! We even had great success against the wee beasties with it when in The Great Glen and areas such as Loch Loy - lethal areas around there. Apparently the film crew on Monarch Of The Glen even used it whilst up there; we were told it was mainly them that brought attention to the success of the Avon product. Whatever the why's and wherefores of it all, it certainly does work and well worth investing in!

With regards to the indoors though, as has been said already, I think it's impossible to keep such minute creatures out, though if anyone hears anything to the contrary then please do tell us so we can camp in the Highlands in peace!

A very Merry Christmas Harry and everyone, a safe, healthy New Year also. Best wishes,

Sue

I tried this in NZ and only got a couple of sand fly bites on my hands...after washing of course.

But where does one get it - I dont know any Avon calling people around here!!

??

Dryocopus said:
I tried this in NZ and only got a couple of sand fly bites on my hands...after washing of course.

But where does one get it - I dont know any Avon calling people around here!!

Ask some ladies at your workplace - one of them should know where an Avon lady calls. Or go and knock at a door and ask if Avon calls there. Or I will get you some. But it seems a bit extreme having some sent from Yorkshire when Avon is nationwide - maybe it shows on the internet where there is an outlet near you. PM me if you want me to get some.

Sandra

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back