• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are they the same? (1 Viewer)

Thats a male linnet, your first pic as already id by dave and bb shows either a female or juv

If after seeing the cropped images you still believe them to be, then I bow down to your superior knowledge (I've just got a camera and starting up with this Bird identifing etc) I take it The second set of shots are Male linnets?

Hi R, the second pic shows a male linnet in breeding or summer plummage the first is what appears to be a female or a juv. The females lack the red colouration as do the juvs. The males will lose the red feathering during thr moult and are then difficult to seperate from the females. Thats a good pic of the male linnet you have taken there.

Thanks. so birds are as bad as their namesakes they like to wear something different all the time ;)

Yep please with the camera, have some nice shots so far Crossbills and Purple Sandpipers I believe to be the more un-common ones so far.

;)
Thanks. so birds are as bad as their namesakes they like to wear something different all the time ;)

Yep please with the camera, have some nice shots so far Crossbills and Purple Sandpipers I believe to be the more un-common ones so far.

Never quite thought of it like that but yeah thats about right
As you say both Crossbill and Purple sand are quite scarce and if you get stuck with anything just stick them on here as there are a lot of people who will try to id them for you

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back