• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Verification Needed Upper Texas Coast (1 Viewer)

Not sure except I don't see a white face. I am very new at this, so I take my best guess and try to learn from my mistakes. Here is another view.
Now that you have pointed it out. I have look at more pictures of White-faced Ibis and see that is probably it, but would like some verfication from those of you who are more experienced.

Attachments

• mini-Hwy 365 033.JPG
    mini-Hwy 365 033.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
There are few Glossies along the upper TX coast, especially in winter, but they do occur. In fact, we see more and more each year, it seems. The overwhelming majority of Plegadis ibis are White-faced.

During the winter, they are harder to tell apart. Eye color (red = White-faced, brown = Glossy) is a key. Facial skin coloration is muted in winter, so it is not always reliable. However, the shape of the facial skin is in need of a look.

If the whitish coloration encircles the back of the eye, you have a White-faced. If bluish (brighter, sky blue during breeding season) lines extend to the eye, but not behind it, you have a Glossy.

I was unable to tell whether the light coloration extended behind the eye in your pics, but you might have enough to go on now.

If these are Glossies, please put them in eBird and post them to TEXBIRDS, as the record would be of interest to area birders.

The bird on the left in particular looks like White Faced. Plus, like Steve said, it would be the expected species.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back